Bid on planting Annual Flowers

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by LawnLad, Apr 4, 2002.

1. LawnLad

LawnLad LawnSite Senior Member

Working on a bid for planting annuals - mostly bedding type plants, such as petunias, begonias, impatiens, etc. Since we usually do a job T & M, I never learned how to price it up front like this.

Specifications for job:
    1) assume 3,000 sq feet of bed area
    2) Bulbs to be planted on 4" centers
    3) Summer annuals to be planted as well

Here are my questions:
    1) How many bulbs for 3,000 sq feet on 4" centers
    2) How to space bedding annuals - on 6" or 8" centers?
    3) Remind me how many annuals in a flat? 36?
    4) How many plants can one man install in a prepared bed in one hour?

Thanks for your help.

Doug

2. diginahole

diginahole LawnSite Member

Lawn Lad,

Here's how I came up with these numbers. On a peice of graph paper i drew out areas representing 4 sq ft. for the 4" and 8" spacing I used a grid of 6 rows x 6 columns. For the 4" spacing I drew an 'x' at each intersection including around the edge. I counted the 'x's and came up with 49. If you divide 49 plant by 4 sq ft you get about 12 plants per sq ft. Now this assumes that you will be planting right up to the edges of your area to be planted. So I would start with 36000 bulbs spaced at 4" centres then subtract 3 bulbs per linear foot of bed edge. For the 6" spacing I used a 4 x 4 grid and followed the same routine.

Because most of my work is design build I just place the plants spaced appropriatly in a CAD program and it counts them for me automatically. Therefore the above method is just theory and not based on evedence that it will work in the real world.

3000 sq ft x 4" spacing = 36000
    3000 sq ft x 6" spacing = 18000
    3000 sq ft x 8" spacing = 12000

I will try this out with the CAD program today and compare numbers to see if this comes close or not. I will assume a bed width of 10 feet.

3. diginahole

diginahole LawnSite Member

OOPS it looks like my numbers were off. I figured out the formula.

(Length(ft) /spacing(ft))+1 x (width(ft) /spacing(ft))+1 = plants to fill area to the edges.

To leave one plant off around the edges subtact the result of the following formula from previous result.

(Length (ft) /spacing (ft) +1)x2)+((width (ft) /spacing (ft)) +1)x2)

10 x 30 @ 4" spacing = 31 rows x 101 plants = 3131 plants or 10.44 plants/sq ft.

10 x 300 @ 4" spacing = 31 rows x 1001 plants = 31031 plants or 10.34 plants/sq ft.

20 x 150 @4" = 61 rows of 501 plants = 30561 or 10.19 p/sq ft

You can see that the aspect ratio of the planting area will change the total number of plants required, which of course is true in the real world.

Note: round down to zero decimals when calculating length or width/ spacing.

Here's my guess at the production, 500 bulbs/ man hour and 750 cell pack plants/mh using 2 man teamsand trowels. Just a guess, I've never done an install of this magnatude but I think that would be close or slightly low. There are probably faster method on a large scale install. A dimmpler comes to mind.

4. RwADesigner

RwADesigner LawnSite Member

Guys...

i have a chart that already has spacing laid out...and has the numbers you need to punch in the calculator according to your spacing requirements.....comes in very handy....

If any of you need it..let me know..
    ill email it

RWA

just a thought