Bid on three acres

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Youngster, Jul 8, 2000.

1. Youngster

Youngster LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I have the chance on getting a 3 acre job. I just dont know how much to charge. I've never done a big job like this before. I'd be using 2 36&quot; mowers. I was thinking around $200? Is this about right?<p>Youngster<p>----------<br>Cashin' in on Others Laziness!!!!<br>
  2. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Just cause I'm bored I whipped out Nillson's time and labor guide and tried to figure this one out. If you don't have sulky's I think this job can take up to 4 hours, for mowing, trimming, blowing, etc. Now you said $200, lets break it down<p>$200.00 / 4hours = $50 an hour<br>-$ labor cost for whoevers running the other mower<br>- $ your pay<br>- $ overhead costs per hour <br>- $ travel time to/from job<br>----------<p>If your happy with whatever number this ends up being as your profit, I guess its okay. Fill in the blanks and repost this so we can see how it turns out.<p>Thanks<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;;&gt;&quot;Guido&quot;&lt;/a&gt;<br>David M. Famiglietti
  3. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

$200 per mow or $200 a month? I hope per mow. Would not even consider without some type of sulky.<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: KirbysLawn
  4. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

I understood it as $200 per mow. I hope so too!!! If he's talking monthly, I want him to work for me! Kirby, I'm with you, sulky is a must!<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;;&gt;&quot;Guido&quot;&lt;/a&gt;<br>David M. Famiglietti
  5. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

Guido, and Kirby.....The ever so brilliant Larry Stone. Told me that he could charge as little as $32.50 an acre ($97.50 for 3), and still make money under certain circumstances. He also said that the most you should charge per acre is $42.50 ($127.50 for 3 max he says). Now he can think what he likes, but there's no way you'd catch me doing a 3-acre lot at his rates. Now if a guy's hungry for business, and money, then I can understand that, but to say that the ceiling should be $42.50 an acre just reinforces my opinions about him.<p>Victor
  6. Victor you need to get a grip on yourself and start to understand how wide area pricing works.<p>One man with a 60&quot; wb or ztr and mow and trim a three acre home site in two hours.<p>So that truck will gross 47 to 63 dollars per hour. Thats about $500 per day with min.<br>of investment.

MRPLOW LawnSite Member

Lawrence is right on this one I think. You will be out bid by someone with a lower price and on top of this they will be making more money per hour than your higher bid. Step up to at least a 48 inch with velke to do this kind of job, not to mention thats a lot of walking to do with a 36 inch. If you get the bid anyways though just thing of the time savings if you got a bigger and faster mower, a bigger mower could save at least an hour off the job, say you normally make $40.00 an hour, times this by 4 and that's a $160.00 a month you could make with a free hour, you could pay for a bigger mower with this job alone.
  8. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

You can bid what you like Stone, but while you're earning the numbers you post, cutting the big stuff. I'll be busy out earning you while I'm doing the smaller stuff. All the while putting less hours on my equipment. Not to mention the fact that one of your customers has much more of an affect on you, than one of mine. It's obviously easy to make more money per unit time by sticking to the big accounts when you're just starting out, but once you've been in this biz for a while. You will have had the opportunity to construct some very tight routes. With these condensed routes I make a lot more than what you're talking about. <p>You should be worrying about the guys who are lowballing, instead of guys like myself, and others who take pride in the job we do, and expect to be paid for it. Have a great day Larry. I can't wait to read your reply tommorow. Don't dissapoint me. <p>Victor
  9. lawnsurfer

lawnsurfer LawnSite Member

You need to look at what type of terrain you will be mowing also that has a big affect on how quickly you mow. If the site has a lot of hills or obstacles etc. take that into account also. Are there a lot of trees that will shed debris that you have to pick up. Look at the whole picture and determine from the the customer exactly what they expect.
  10. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

I do a 4 acre park for Can$200. It takes a little over 3 hours to do and is the most relaxing job I have. It is completely surrounded by a ravine and trees. We have sprayed a circle around each tree so you don't even have to get off the mower, no trimming and no worries. My wife and I fight over who gets to do it. Wide area mowing can be a good way to end a stressful day so figure that into your price. If the property was loaded with trimming flowers etc it would be alot higher priced and I probally wouldn't get the job either, they would just hire a kid like they did for years before I came along.