Bid on weeding and mulching flower bed.

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by spcfoor, Sep 9, 2005.

1. spcfoor

spcfoor LawnSite Senior Member

I am going to bid a job tomorrow and am wondering how you all charge for weeding. I don't know how big the beds are yet but do you charge by linear foot or by the hour? This is the pastor of the church I go to and want to give him a fair price.

2. sgl41377

sgl41377 LawnSite Member

I always think that if you do not know how long it is going to take you, charge by the hour. Let the client know that their is no perfect way to estimate the job and you want to be fair to him. Tell him it will be an hourly rate per man hour. If you want to give him an estimate. Give him a large range dependant on hours spent on site it could be the low end of the estimate or the high end. I like hourly rates myself. That way, your customers will learn what you charge for extras. I have a customer that likes to pull me away from cutting his grass to do odd jobs. Everytime he does it I charge him my hourly rate for that time and put it on his invoice with an explanation of what he had me do. He pays every time.

3. daveyo

daveyo LawnSite Senior Member
    from N.J.

telling your customers an hourly rate could potentially be a losing wager. Estimate in your head how long the job will take, if your not good at this yet break it down into smaller components that you can grasp. I.e., if you have 500sq' of bedding to clean,break it down into a 100sq' plot and multiply that time by five. Take into account areas that are inundated more than others. Going rates per man hour vary, don't let your self down by charging to little per man hour.

David
    O'Donnell Landscape Design

4. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

We charge by the hour with a two hour minimum