Bid on Winter Rye Over-Seeding

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by firefightergw, Jan 30, 2006.

1. firefightergw

firefightergw LawnSite Gold Member
    from Texas

I am knew to this site so hello everyone. It has been a pleasure reading what you guys have to say and I will help as I am able too.

My question is: What do you guys typically charge for over seeding winter rye? I have a commercial account that wants me to do it next year and I am trying to put a new proposal together for them this year. They want approximately 7000 sq. ft. done. Additionally, what would you charge for prep and what would that include?

Thanks ahead of time.

2. williamslawn

williamslawn LawnSite Member
    from SC

Build the cost in with your contract. You will need aprox 70lbs of seed and it will take you about 30 minutes to spread the rye. What kind of existing turf do they have now? Dont forget if you overseed you will be cutting during the winter months.

3. firefightergw

from Texas

Thanks Williamslawn. They have bermuda. I assume I would scalp and bag it first. I will also include aeration which I will do after I scalp. Put down then seed and then water 3 X per day until it matures. Is this right and what about the charge? I was thinking $200 for the seed, labor, and the scalp. Then charging $80 to aerate.

Thanks

4. williamslawn

williamslawn LawnSite Member
    from SC

Sounds like a fair price to me. You will need to do your prep and seeding early Oct.

5. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Why do they just now want Winter Rye overseeding? They should have had it done back in Sept-Oct. Something that small and simple we just charge a set price for the seed and then $xx amount to spread it oer 10#.

6. firefightergw

from Texas

This business has never had it done but wants it done next year. Putting a 2006 proposal together for next year.

7. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I charge .10 per sq. ft. includes everything except topdressing. Premium rye blend 12 lbs per 1000 sq. ft.

8. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

You plan on putting 70lbs of rye seed on 7000 sqft?????

9. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Have you ever overseeded Rye on Bermuda??? Sounds about right to me, at least.

10. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Fireman, you can use your clippings to topdress the lawn. Started that beginning of last season with great results. Scalp, store your clippings off to the side, lay down seed, spread clippings back over seed, maybe not all of them if the grass was thick, and water, water, water. Dont forget a fert app a couple weeks after seeding. Isnt it nice having grass year-round?