bid or refer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dcgreenspro, May 17, 2006.

1. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

Had a question about giving an estimate on a job that was much too big for one person. Had to give a quote on a property that had apperently not "been cut" this year and nothing has been done with the landscaping. In went something like this
    1. meet clients
    2.walk property
    3.lost on property because of grass and weed length
    4.price on overgrown 1 acre: 100.00 first time cut/ 45 every week
    5.they show me landscaping
    6.same
    7.same
    8.same
    9.finally done looking at landscaping
    We finished our conversation and they liked price for lawn but i told them to call large landscaping comp. in area to help get everthing under control in beds. they thanked me and i left.
    The boss (wife) upset that i didn't bid the landscaping job. I said that i would be there for over a week every day and they would have laughed at my price. What do you guys/ girls do for jobs that are on a much larger scale then used to?

2. eshreve1234

eshreve1234 LawnSite Member

I try never to turn away work. Do you have any friends who can help you out? Perhaps call a labor service and rent some people for a day? Thats what I do on things I can not handle solo. If you don't push your comfort zone, how will you ever know what you can handle?

I am very selfish, I try to never let anyone else work on a property that I consider "mine."

3. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

For the cleanout, break it down into smaller pieces, get a figure on the manhours and other costs, call Pick-A-Spick or Rent-A-Drunk, add your profit, and give the customer a number.

As somone on this site posted sometime ago.. (it went something like this)
    You have to disassociate yourself with the price. Things cost what they cost.

If your customer won't pay the price for cleanout that allows you to make $$$.... it's not worth it.

I recently had a situation like the one you are facing... The total came up to just over 3K.
    I gave the customer the $$$$ I came up with like it was nothing out of the ordinary. I got the job even though some other bigger outfits had come up with lower numbers. Make sure your customer feels comfortable with you and what you will be doing. Write it all down on paper.

4. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I'd have given them a price. Round up all the weeds, trim the bushes, then cover it all with mulch. It's simple! I never give away business that I can do myself, even if it is a lot of work. Hire some high school kids for a day, or a friend in the evening.

5. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

It's better to pass the job off then get yourself into something you can't handle. At this point, passing the job off still makes you look "good". If you would have tried to take on the landscape side of things, failed miserably, then hosed off the customer because you weren't able to perform and lost your contract for the maintenance as well, then you'd really be kicking yourself. I think you made a good move, take what you can, sub out or refer the rest.