1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bid/Proposal Time?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Randy Scott, Feb 6, 2001.

1. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know if we really touched on this in other discussions. When you guys do a bid for a customer, mostly residential, do they expect you to give them the price right on the spot, or do they know you will prepare it in a day or so? I would imagine the small easy ones you could give them on the spot and then if they say yes prepare a contract, maybe try and eliminate some time wasters when you hand them a bid so they don't freak out thinking it would be half that or something. I know each job probably will need to be tailored for it but any thoughts would help, thanks guys!

2. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

Depending on the work required is what determines when they get a actual price from me. Yes, the simple ones are given price on the spot, then I inform them I will send them a written qoute in a day or two in the mail, so this is a good time to get additional personal info so when they do go with you, your all ready to go with the info.

Harder bids, usually commercial properties, get a bid in a day or two so it can be put through the computer and printed out for a better presentation effect. I really envy those few guys that have mentioned using laptops and portable printers and even digi cameras to give bids and qoutes on the spot, this can be a very good marketing tool at the right times. On those commercial properties, I also like alittle time to look over my numbers and work alittle more on the actual presentation of those materials.

I see this proper presentation issue pay off. I had a guy tell me one time that he had all the LCO's out for the bid. He said I was the only local company that gave him nice printed out qoutes with details of all work and services intailed in the bid. He said most just told him over the phone and one guy actualy wrote it all on a napkin (he must have believed in the onsite presentation). I was also the only one that called back with a follow up.
  3. lawman

lawman LawnSite Member

I do my mulch work in March and Sept.Oct.
  4. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

um Lawman,,, I think you posted in the wrong spot.

this is the post pertaining to bidding not taz's about mulching. :)

5. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

I keep pricing for grounds maintenace and renovations right in the truck. If someone calls and I think they are who they say they are, and they have a rough idea of the square footage (because they were a former chem-lawn customer or dealt with a company that always put down the square footage of area treated) I can just scroll down the square footage for that service and tell them that it will be around $xxx.xx dollars. At least they will have an idea if they cannot wait til we get there to do the estimate.

Sometimes people are actually checking to make sure that they are not paying "JATS Landscaping" too much or they are looking for a reason to do busines with someone else and just price shopping. Either way a 30 second phone call can sometimes save me hours of dead beat estimates.

Just my .02