1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bid Question

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by lonestaros, Aug 1, 2006.

1. lonestaros

lonestaros LawnSite Member

I have a customer with a 15x15 bed in the middle of a concrete parking lot with a tree in it. It currently has LS fabric and lava rock (approx 1" thick). He wants it spruced up so I figure I would remove the fabric and rock, till the & ammend the soil then install periwinkle. How would u break down his charges?
    Here is my idea:
    I figured it to be about 2.5 sq/yds:
    Flower bed prep, remove rock and fabric: $150
    Disposal of rock/fabric: $60
    2.5yd of landscape soil: $160
    & Periwinkles 50 @$95
    no mulch.
    DELIV Charge: $60.
    TOTAL: $525
    Any suggestions?

Forgive me, because I mainly do tractor mowing and am working these small jobs.
  2. paolaken

paolaken LawnSite Senior Member

lava rock sucks to remove by hand.
  3. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I would not add soil to the bed. Adding soil over the existing soil height around the tree can kill the tree. I would simply amend the soil in the individial areas where you are going to plant. Throwing 2&1/2 yards of soil over ther roots of a tree then tilling it in will damage the tree. I can't advise you on prices but you do need to mark-up your materials.
    Get pics and I can advise better.
  4. GFTC

GFTC LawnSite Member

Also, do not till the area within the dripline of the tree and refer to Sheshovels post about planting and soil concerns.
  5. lonestaros

THANK YOU! I will adjust the prices and just ammend the soil.. No tilling..
  6. lonestaros

how much do yall charge for bed prep work and how do u price it? ie. per hr, sq/ft. etc...
  7. siyaltrduc

siyaltrduc LawnSite Member
    from Raleigh

I am having the same problem, I had a customer call today and he wants all his beds cleaned out, bushes included. It seems like each bed is diffferent though. I think an hourly rate would be the best, because it should be easier to guess your time.
  8. lonestaros

ure prolly right siyaltrduc
  9. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

Do what you want, but here is a suggestion.

figure out the approximate time required. Add 30%. Then multiply by your hourly rate for that kind of work. I charge between $75 and $150 per man hour depending on complexity and how busy I am doing other stuff. Then present this as a package price to the client plus materials and mark-up.

Package prices are always a better seller than an open ended hourly rate price.

$2000 sounds much better than $75 per man hour for your crew of 4. The client often thinks how long it would take them (read as all week) and sees $300 per hour times 40 hours (12000) and says no way. where $2000 is a set price and they can work with that.

In reality it takes your crew 3-4 hours and you make great money.