1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bid Question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RwADesigner, Sep 13, 2007.

1. RwADesigner

RwADesigner LawnSite Member

I've been doing a large property (approximately 60 2000 sf duplexes, about 2 per 1/4 acre) for a real estate development company. They used to have 10 other lawn companies do all their properties, but someone finally got the smart idea to hire one company to do all of their 400+/- units (probably 175 buildings). To be done twice a week. They are all in locations that can be serviced rather close together with little driving if coordinated properly on the right days. I had a meeting with the main person and he informed me that he just wants a low down dirty bid to get the job done, cut/edge/blow/spray weeds when needed. He said he will take my price and either go with it or not, there will be no negotiating. How should I approach something this size? I can definately handle it and they will be adding approximately 1000 more properties within the next 3 years. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

2. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

Look and see how much time YOU THINK it will take you. I'm assuming you ment every two weeks, rather then "twice a week". Your gonna have to bid low to have a chance. Without seeing them I'd guess $12.50 per unit ($25 per month per unit) but chances are it will fo for a lot lowerr, like $7 per unit.
  3. RwADesigner

Yes, I'm sorry, I did mean every two weeks. I've looked at about 1/3 of them today and they are very simple. I'm putting down the time for each area and then figuring a rough schedule to help on estimating drive time and gas. I'm thinking it will be around the 7-12/unit mark.
  4. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

400 units at $7 is only $2,800 ($5,600 monthly)
    400 units at 10 mins each is 66.6 hours.
    $2,800 divide that by 66.6 hrs is $42.04 PER HOUR.
    Then you have employees to pay, repairs, gas and more gas. Thats not gonna leave a lot of profit.
  5. RwADesigner

Ya, thats what I'm looking at. I'm not going to do it at a loss or break even. Definately not.
  6. RwADesigner

There are alot of the 3unit per building complexes so I'm looking at how long it would take me to do the site. One area that I'm currently doing has 48 buildings but 100 units and it takes me about 7-8 hrs to do them. Lots of weed eating.

These I'm bidding on are on average 8-12 buildings per site. I looked at 6 of the sites today (probably 100 units total) and I could probably get most of these done in a day, it would be tight, but can be done. This would be with 3 guys, me included. I'm putting my pencil on it hard. I'll post my results when i get it completed.
  7. beltonbelton

beltonbelton LawnSite Member

how do you get a hold of vericore drainage tile
    do you have a phone number to call