1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bid Question?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HacMan91, Mar 17, 2002.

1. HacMan91

HacMan91 LawnSite Member

Do you guys itemize your bids? Does the customer care if you itemize each job in your bid or just the total price. Ive got a large commercial bid in the works and Im not sure if I should just give my total price or submit it with each price ie: mowing, bushes etc. I have it itemized here but do they need it? Didnt find anything in the search menu, just alot of people needing help with bids. I read a post where a guy submitted his itemized bid and the manager gave the bid to someone else with his prices on it. Is it more professional to submit the itemized bid? I guess theres several questions here, any help would be appreciated.:confused:
  2. PAPS

PAPS LawnSite Senior Member

I do both types of bids.. itemized and standard "one" price type quotes...

Sometimes dealing with homeowners... they want to see what each apsect of a job will cost, so they can pick and choose what to do and what not to do... so then I itemize, so the client can see what each "project" will cost. Also, by itemizing it helps me determine which "projects" we made out the best on.

As for one price bids... when dealing with commercial jobs, or corporate sites.. they sometimes just want to see the bottom line.
  3. Itemized price for service.

No dementions, amounts, sizes, distances, etc.....

If they want those I get paid in full first.
  4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I itemize almost all the time...unless it is for a homeowner who really doesn't care. They just want to know the total cost of what they want done.
  5. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I agree with LGF. I itemize, but NEVER give them square footage. I write this down on my copy of my estimate only.

6. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't get this. Don't your lawn care contracts specify square footage to be treated w/ price?

Don't your mulching quotes specify approximate cubic yards used?

Don't your landscape jobs specify approximate square footage of walls, or other hardscapes?

How else can your clients know what to expect??

Maybe I am misinterpreting your statement.

7. Andrews Lawn

Andrews Lawn LawnSite Member

I agree with Turfdude:

how can your customers not want to know size and dimensions?
    ( for example putting down mulch- how can you not list how much sq. ft. is covered?)
  8. All they get is an itemized price only, they want the rest they have to pay for it.

Mulch is this price

Fert n squirt is this price

Retaining wall this price

ETC... don't give out those figures!!!! It leads to ease of others knowing your prices.

Like today I went to give a bid, and found one stuck in the door.

I locked that one in pretty good.

BTW he was way off on his measurements. I even double checked to be sure.
  9. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

10. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

For mowing lawns itemize it not really!! for mulch we do put in how much (most of the time).We put on our contracts how much mowing will be, how much mulch will be how much plowing and sanding will be and soforth! On our commercial customers on maintenace like mulch and ect we will put how much on our work specification sheet that goes with our proposals but residential is much much more relaxed language! We found to much wording in residential contracts and work specification sheets tend to confuse or just plain loose intrest. But in landscape construction we do define everthing right down to the littest detail but for maintenance no real need for it on res accounts.