Bid Question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ken50, Jul 3, 2004.

1. ken50

ken50 LawnSite Member
    from tx

I have a lady that wants me to cut her property. It is 6 1/2 acres, all natural grasses and weeds. It hasn't been cut in quite awhile...probably a couple of months. The grass isn't real thick, but is about a foot high or so. She also has quite a few thistles that she wants chopped out before mowing. I will be doing the job with my John Deere 54inch Z. There are a lot of trees on the property, cedar and live oak. I have been getting $65/acre on another job, and it has no trees at all and just a little trimming by the fences. I just need to get some input from y'all on what you would think I should charge on this job. Thanks for your help.

2. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Thats gonna be some tough mowin on a 54Z either way you look at it. Can you rent a brush hog on a tractor and figure that into the price.
    I don't know your market so I am not comfortable telling you what to bid but I wouldn't take a finish mower on a rough plot of uncut land for 100 an hour or more.
    Ya gotta know your costs and then figure in a profit. Is this gonna be a steady thing or a 1 timer? Are you gonna get spin off business from it? You have to put the pencil down to the paper.
    Good Luck.

3. ken50

ken50 LawnSite Member
    from tx

Ed,
    I was worried about that myself, afraid of messing up my mower to make a few hundred bucks. Big gamble, but when you are starting off, you are so hungry for work, you know? Just had a terrific week, the business is really starting to go, I guess I should just bow out of this one. Thanks for the input.