Bid - Rejected & Rejoicing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by meets1, Mar 19, 2005.

1. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks for all who gave there input on a cemetary bid.

Just a brief recap, bidding 4.3 acres of gravestones. Easy area to mow, just a pain to trim it all.

I bid $435.00 / mow. I received word toady via mail that our bid was rejected due to the price. Go figure huh??

Winning bid - $120.00 / time.

I was the second in line with a 3rd bid being $685 / mow.

Just wanted to share with everyone how we turned out and I am glad we didn't get it yet I feel for the poor sap who is going to do that much mowing for $120.00

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I feel sorry for him for when he does the trimming.

That is one of the reasons that I never got into cemetary work.

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Poor sap my azz...more like a f***ing idiot IMO.

4. aries

aries LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

Oh he going to make a bundle!

5. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

If they call you in 2 months cause he quit tell them it's now $650.00.

6. Watkinslawnservice

Watkinslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

Just out of curiosity, how many man hours did you estimate that this job would take you? I am thinking that even with a 52 or 60 ZTR it would still take at least 5 man hours with all that trimming?

7. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

That's less than $30 per acre for the mowing. It will take him 2-3 hours mowing, and God only knows how long for the trimming. I'll be willing to bet that he quits or gets fired for skipping the trimming. Like some above said, if they call you back after he disappears...raise the rent.

8. mowahman

mowahman LawnSite Member

I lost the Town cemeteries that we have been maintaining for 10 yrs. to a solo op. with one 48" mower(unless he's picked up a few in the off season) for 10K less than I was doing them for. Just for what it's worth, our profit wasn't 10K on these...more like almost nothin'. Lots of man hours to them properly..

9. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

We used to cut a 6 acre cemetary for about $1400 including the trimming. It would take about 6 hours to so the whole thing.

10. kmclawn

kmclawn LawnSite Member

I lost a bid for a cemetary last year but every time I talk to one of the guys in charge of hiring the LCO, all I hear is how poorly the existing company maintains the grounds. I just keep telling them if you want it done right it will cost more money. Funny thing is they keep looking for the lowest bidder. You would think they would learn. I was even approched to see if I would lower my price to take over. I reminded them I am doing this to make money and not to pay them for the exercise. There is alot of work in a cemetary and anyone who tries to lowball it good luck because they won't be making any money on them.