1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bid the trash?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lakesidecutter, Jan 24, 2008.

1. lakesidecutter

lakesidecutter LawnSite Member

I was recently appraoched to do 5 duplexs located in a 3 block area. The entire area is low rent or section 8 type housing. Aside from the bid for the cut, trim and blowing what are you guy doing about trash that seems to accumilate in these type of areas. Are you charging it as a line item? or just working it into the price? I normally focus on residental contracts and do not really deal with this much. Any help would be great. Currently there is no one living in any of the units so I have no idea what this will be like once summer hits.
  2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

What I have done is bid trash clean up on a separate line and if they complain about then tell them fine but you will mow over paper, condoms, tampons and diapers or around couches, tv's and broken down cars .........and figure it good for the dump cost...I would allow 30 minutes per complex to walk around each time......just my opinion

3. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

What I do is let them know what day were going to be servicing their property and tell them that if there is excess trash on the lawn at time of service there will be an extra charge above the rate for mowing billed at our hourly rate. I have this worded in my contract that my commercial accounts sign and take the time at signing to explain it to them so that there is no misunderstanding.
  4. d&rlawncare

d&rlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

The best and ONLY good way to handle it is sit down and tell the manager that if you have to stop and pick up trash it is going to be _____ extra. Dont try and put it in the contract thinking they will read it. Trash is a pain and you will spend more time picking it up than its worth in a place like this.

Or you (the manager) can do it the day before. If there is trash and you dont want to pay me to pick it up, then I will mow over or around it. tell them you understand "some" trash but not alot.
  5. TurfCo  LLC

TurfCo LLC LawnSite Member

I had a place that was the worst. Condoms and condom wrappers, tampons, poopy diapers... the works. These people had no concept of a trash can. Couches, TV's, old beds, rotting piles of meat (I tossed my lunch on that one). These places AREN'T worth it. If you decide to go for it, I charged $75 an hour to pick up trash on top of the regular mowing. It just wasn't worth it. I am glad I got rid of that contract as of the end of last season!
  6. RyGuyusMaximus

RyGuyusMaximus LawnSite Member

The same way you bid out fall cleanups. $30 an hr or what ever. Just time the amount of time it takes to do the trash pick up and bill accordingly. If they complain give a discount on the time. If they're completely unreasonable then just run over everything...lol Ive done it....
  7. LawnMastersTx

LawnMastersTx LawnSite Member

We used to cut places like this. Only reason we kept doing them was how much they paid us. You are thinking about the clean up and such, but dont forget the flat tires for all the crap you will be driving over. You will lose many tires and get a ton of flats on places like this. Make sure to secure your stuff when you are away from the trailer. I have come back many times to see people just standing on my trailer or by it at places like this.
  8. RyGuyusMaximus

RyGuyusMaximus LawnSite Member

They'll steal your stuff. They'll plan it out since you come back week after week.

We always keep the trailor in view and park it out in the open near a road. Thats the best advice Ive got for anyone.
  9. Coinshooter

Coinshooter LawnSite Member

Sigh... Biting.. my... tongue