Bid this Job.

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by SpudsM15, Feb 14, 2006.

1. SpudsM15

SpudsM15 LawnSite Senior Member

Lawn that totally died out because of grubs and lack of water.
    If you were to use a slitseeder you would rip up pieces of sod and you would have to rake up all the debris.
    Now the job would entail ripping up whole lawn leveling out some minor imperfections because of trees cut down and grinded out... Disposal of all debris... this is a corner house so you have street access to 80% of the lawn...
    There is a sprinkler system in place that was just renovated so that needs to be avioded... Total area that needs to be completely renovated 16413 sq ft. the grade is fine , only imperfections in grades is where 4 trees were cut down.... Cust wants seed... What would you bid to do this job....
    I messed up on the bid big time and after reveiwing it and kicking myself for being an idiot I retracted the bid...

2. start2finish

start2finish LawnSite Senior Member

I would use a harley rake to remove old thatch and level. Then go over with a aerevator / seeder. 3000.00 roughly.

the reason I mention the aerevator is your mention of the slit seeder. would be a 1800.00 job normally. 1/2 day for our crew

3. SpudsM15

I've never used a harley rake nor seen one in action... According to cust, sprinkler lines are only down 5" will that be a problem???

4. start2finish

start2finish LawnSite Senior Member

no problem , at all.

5. SpudsM15

I've never used a harley rake nor seen one in action... According to cust, sprinkler lines are only down 5" will that be a problem???
    The "tatch" is going to come up like peices of sod...
    If you were to get 1" depth of tatch/sod wouldn't you wind up with 30-50 yds of material

6. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

3000 Minimum

7. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

I would be in the $1900 range. What exactly did you bid?

8. SpudsM15

I bid the job at 3400, the guy talked me down to 3000...
    This was in late fall of this past season, job is to be done first thing in the spring... I haven't retracted the bid yet, but I'm sure I under bid the job...
    I planned the job to use a skidsteer and scrape off the old lawn, and put down 16 yds of mushroom compost but thats only goign to get me about 3/8's of a inch down...
    Seriously $1900, the job would have to take atleast 2-3 days with 2 people... 16k is alot of raking for 2 guys to do quickly...