Bid This...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Loosestrife, Mar 14, 2002.

1. Loosestrife

Loosestrife LawnSite Member
    from PA

Municipal bid. Total of 16 traffic islands, open spaces, and roadside parcels. Sizes range from .11 acre to 1.38 acres. Total area to be mowed 4.68 Acres.

All sites are located in a 12 square mile area.

Contract calls for 24 mowings, weelky in spring and fall, bi weekly in summer.

-Mowing shall be between 2 and 3 inches. Clippings can be mulched. Excessive or clumped clippings to be removed by contractor.

-Trim around everything with string trimmer, no roundup.

-Blow off hard surfaces after mowing.

-Clean up and remove all litter and debris prior to each mowing.

-Chemically or manually control weeds in pavement cracks immedtly adjoining turf sites.

-Prior to first mowing, visit each site, to clean up and remove accumilated debris.

-$500,000 auto and libility insurance required, $100,000 Workers comp if having employees.

There are only a few of the sites that can be done together, in one stop, most will be an individual stop.

I know that one cannot bid this without knowing more details, BUT, give a ballpark of cutting 4.68 acres, scattered over 16 different sites.

We bid this high, and were super surprised at the low bid. I'll post it after getting some responses...

2. I have done many of these.

$535

= $12,840

Includes trash pick up, lots of trimming and blowing, which will be longer than mowing time, and weeds in cracks.

3. greens

greens LawnSite Member

Hey, that sounds almost exactly like a bid I am about to submit next week. The one I am bidding is 4.75 acres with 15 different sections ranging in size. I have been going back and forth on what to bid. Would you let me know what you bid so I have a better idea of what to bid to get the job.

Thanks a million :)

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

What is the linear ft of trimming and edging?
    How long do you think each will take?

Based on info provided I came up with:
    $522 x 24 = $12,528

5. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Makes a difference how long at each stop, and how much hopping around...

Low side $10,000.00

Much difficulty...

around $13,000 - $14,000

6. Loosestrife

Loosestrife LawnSite Member
    from PA

Well, our bid was just about $15,000 for the season. As I said, we bid high. There have been times in the past where there was only one qualified bidder, and the bid winning was automatic, so we knew that the only way we would get it was if we were the only qualified bidder.

The low bid was $4000/year. Unbeilivable.

7. tlcservices

tlcservices LawnSite Member
    from fl

how many stops?
    what size mower?
    how many obsticales?
    how much pavement?
    sidewalks?
    edging?
    string trimming?
    leaves?
    trash?