1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

bid to low

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by draftlawncare, Jan 18, 2004.

1. draftlawncare

draftlawncare LawnSite Member

you know you bidded to low when nobody bids on the the next year. thats what happened to me cut my own throat to the tune of $8500. But thats what happens when you dont know what you are doing. now the job pays good just wish i knew i was the only bidder this year

2. SHOW ME STATE RIDER

SHOW ME STATE RIDER LawnSite Member
    from MO

raise the bid!

3. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

Everyone has done it, I'm going through it this year. First year offering snow removal the first commercial job I landed $55 per occurence had 4 inches a few weeks ago and it took me an hour and 45 minutes. :eek: You learn quick I did anyway the rest of my snow jobs are right on if not high after talking to others in the area.

4. draftlawncare

draftlawncare LawnSite Member

i raised it 9500 dollars i just wish i knew my bid was the only one turned in this year i would have went higher .i reckon everybody thought if i mowed it cheap last year i would do it again this year. so nobody submitted a bid but me damn it was hard getting out of bed and mowing for that price i know better know . still could use alot of help

5. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

I know what you mean you look forward to doing work but when you underbid one you hate the account. Had a lawn account this year that was slightly underbid by about $10 PER CUT, account was the nicest one I have as far appearance when I get done but I never looked forward to doing it who says money cant buy happiness, contract is changed for next year.

6. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like the Cracker Barrel I used to work at. They have a guy doing everything (mowing, planting flowers 3 times a year, 6 step chem. program, remulching landscaping 2 times/year) for $9,800/yr. I figured out that the guy is loosing almost $13,000/year between time and materials. I don't know how these guys can afford to do it. I just know that I can't, and won't even attempt it.

7. SHOW ME STATE RIDER

SHOW ME STATE RIDER LawnSite Member
    from MO

I just don't see how they do it either.We had a local nursery start a crew and they under bid everybody else in the area. Got the money making accounts and turned them into nothing. Riding 10000 dollar mowers and not a clue how to stripe.

8. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Under-bidding mistakes are part of the learning process. Don't kick yourself for making a mistake...learn from it. Everyone on this site has under-bid an account at one time or another so you are not alone. If you keep the account you can gradually raise the price to a level that is competitive and yet profitable. Try to generate more revenue from the account on "added" services or products. Good luck.