Bid too high!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Phishook, Oct 3, 2002.

1. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

Bid a job to trim several bushes today; They refused my bid and said they would do the work in house.

I gave a high bid of $198. Now I'm rethinking it, and i think I went too high. The job needes to be done by Monday because the owner is returning from vacatoin. I would really like to get this bid back.

14 yews, 24"
    4 doublefile viburniums, 4'
    1 Broad Leaf Decidious shrub, 8'
    2 Honey Locus Trees, 10-12'
    3 Spirea, 12"
    9 stella lillies to be cut back
    17 Hostas to be cut back

Now I'm thinking to fax a new bid over to be there when the manager gets to work at 8am.

2.25 hrs. * (27.50hr. * 2 men) = $123.75

Is that more in the ball park?? They are real penny pinchers.

2. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

I never submit a lower bid when I am turned down. It would give people the idea that my prices are negotiable. They are not.
    Crawdad :nono:

3. KerryB

KerryB LawnSite Senior Member

I would never submit a lower bid either.
    Dont sell yourself short.
    When the work is not done on time and done right , talk with the owner not some penny pinching manager.

4. KLMlawn

KLMlawn LawnSite Senior Member

Honestly, I would probably have told them $225. It would be one thing if you were talking to a homeowner and told them a price in person and they balked at it and you said something to the effect "OK, I tell you what ... you are a good customer, I will do it a little cheaper".
    But if you have submitted a bid/estimate to a company and the operations manager make the call to have it done by someone else, then I would not cheapen myself to resubmit a lower bid. As was said above, you should not give the impression that you price is negotiable and when the owner doesn't like the job that was done, you can just tell him to talk to his operations manager, you had nothing to do with it ...

5. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with the others about a re-bid. If you re-submit it will appear that you were milking them on the first go around. Now if they call you to discuss the current bid thats a little different, and maybe you could give them some ideas on how to lower the bid (like giving you more notice so you can properly schedule etc).

6. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

ok.

thats what I was thinking. But I kind of bought some new equpment that I was wanting to try out. But how close was I on the estimate?

I can't wait to see the job they do. :D

7. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I agree, I would not re-bid. Just forget about it. I think your price was in line anyway. :D

Scott

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

+ 40.00 bucks to dump it, and the road time, fuel, and truck use to take it to the dump.

9. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

I think you are right on maybe it should have been a bit higher . if they think they can get it done cheaper then let them try your time is money brother :cool:

10. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

oh they can get a cheaper bid.
    thats the problem with so many johny come latelys. had a church i bid on come back to me yesterday to see if id go in and get them staitened out. i said yea .
    ill have to look at it and ill submit a new bid ,but it ll be higher. its lot easier to fix a problem than go in after somebody dont know what they doing ,and try and fix that.in fact thats the one thing i dread doing. aint no tellin what he did.
    :(