1. ADMServices

ADMServices LawnSite Member

ok, I know there are a lot of guys with different size companys, but I could use some imput on this proposal. They have been using and excavating co. who was charging them by the Hr. I am proposing an inclusive contract for the season.

Distribution Center:
    Concrete Lots and drives 1,200,000 sq.ft.
    Gravel lots 407,000 sq.ft.

Total 1,607,000 sq.ft. = 37 Acres

Scheduled Equipment we would use.
    (2) Loaders w/pusher Boxes
    (1) 5 yd. dump truck w/blade and salter
    (1) 3/4 ton Pick up w/ 8' blade

Salt and equipment must be stored off site (thats ok). I have run most of my rough numbers. What I am looking for is everyones imput. What do you think you would charge,Est. time, materials, etc.

Thanks,

Andy

2. JCurtis

JCurtis LawnSite Senior Member

Andy,

Not really a good idea to discuss commercial pricing here , but if you send me your rough numbers by email, I will give you my opinion. I am in Connecticut, where are you?

JC

3. ADMServices

Well, does the equiptment count look right? Maybe I can do this job with one loader instead of two?

Anyother ideas would be great.

Thanks,

ANDY

4. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like you got enough equipment on the site.

Jeffs right.... what market are you in ??

5. John Allin

Andy,

Forget that question. I went to your site. Kinda got dizzy at first.

Anyway.... I use the same type equipment you described. It "feels" like (in a four inch snowfall) you'll have about two hours to clear that site with that equipment (if the pushers are 18 footers). If they are 10 footers, you'll have closer to 4 hours.

This is just a "feel" based on some sights we have that are relatively close to that one, in size.

Other guys may have different 'feel' for it, depending upon equipment.

Good luck.

6. Greenman2ooo

Greenman2ooo Banned

I am wondering how you estimate how long it will take to push a certain amount of snow. For example, with a 7.5 foot plow, how long would it take to push a five acre lot at 2" depth, at 4", at 6", at 8"?

Does the increased depth make for that much more plowing for a 7.5 foot blade on a 3/4 ton truck??? In other words, does it take twice as long to push 8" as it would 4"???

Obviously, I'm talking wide open plowing here, not little broken up areas which would obviously take longer.

I have a book that lists plowing times and wonder how accurate they are in the real world. The book times are for 50,000 square foot. For the depths above, the times listed are 45, 60, 75 and 90 minutes respectively.

7. ADMServices

Thank you so much Mr. Allin.

That is exactly the info i needed. At this point I have started consider using only one loader w/ an 18' pusher. With only one loader I estimated that I could clear everything in 3.5 to 4 hours. The reasoning behind considering 2 loaders was to cover myself in case of a Large storm (6" or greater). Debating...two loaders = 2 x's the equipment costs, less profits.

I know the website is a little dizzing...It needs a lot more work. I havn't touched it in about a year.

Thanks again John,

Andy

[Edited by ADMServices on 10-07-2000 at 10:18 PM]

8. ADMServices

Greenman,

I have found that with an 8' blade on a 3/4 to 1 ton truck we can clear on average 50,000 sq.ft per hour. So, those figures in the book that you mentioned sound right.

I have also found that in large wide open lots your time can more then double as snow depths increase. For example, we plowed a theater for a number of years and with (2) 3/4 ton trucks with 8' blades we could clear this large lot in 1 hour 45 mins in 2 to 4 inches of snow. Then one night we had a 12 inch snow storm, I took those (2) 3/4 ton trucks and a dump with a 9' blade 10 hours to finish.

Andy

9. John Allin

What gives with the MR. Allin stuff??

Let's keep it simple.

John works.

10. Aspen Snow

Aspen Snow LawnSite Member

But to most of us you are "the Great Mr. John Allin"! You know the man that play with more snow in one season than all of us in five years.