Bidding 15,372 seeding jod please help.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Holloway Lawns, May 1, 2001.

1. Holloway Lawns

Holloway Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

I need help to price a 15,372 square foot area that is mostly dirt some weeds and grass never been seeded or anything. The job would be tilling then seeding Bermuda grass. What would you say for a square foot price .10 .12 cents or what? Thanks for your help.

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Here is a search on Seed with 142 threads on this subject which includes any topic with seed in it. Maybe you can find something there that will help you. I'm not into installs and I see you did post this question on the Landscaping forum, which is the right place to put this question. They do new installs there, mostly on this forum we do over seeding.
    http://www.lawnsite.com/search.php?...ctname=yes&action=dosearch&getdaily=&pagenum=

3. Holloway Lawns

Thank you very much Eric your GREAT for trying to help me out.

4. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I would break the job down into it`s basic components, figure a cost for each and add them up. Tilling at say 30.00/HR,+ raking at say 20.00/HR,+seed cost w/15% markup +seeding at say 20.00/Hr., then add it all up and tack on about 10% contingency.

5. Holloway Lawns

Anyone have a cost per square foot? It's hard for me to detement time because this will be my first seeding job since in 95.

6. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

I haven't priced Bermuda seed lately, on fescue I charge $24 per 1000 sf. I would also charge $30 for a soil test to get a baseline idea of the condition of the soil.

7. Holloway Lawns

Well I gave an estimate to this customer for .08 per square foot which comes to $ 1229.76 do you all think this is good both way's?

8. jjfehr

jjfehr LawnSite Member

well I noticed that in your first post you asked, .10/sf- .12/sf and then in the final bid you submited .08/sf. where did find errors in you initial thoughts that allowed you to bid 20%-25% less? I have a feeling that this might have been your profit you just gave away. Do you know if they have gotten other bids? If so, what were they for? I have never bid on an install but have layed sod in the past for a company that I used to work for and do know that all of the grading is time consuming. Plan for at least two days work for solo operator.

9. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

That's $80.37 per 1000 sf, would'nt fly around here!

10. Holloway Lawns

The .10 or .12 was just an example not what I thouht on bidding it at. I have no idea what the rate is around here and I have tried to find out but no one else wants to even give a bid they are too busy. So because of this I may get it anyways if the customer is still going to have it done.