bidding a big job

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by tallcoopscoach, Aug 3, 2007.

1. tallcoopscoach

tallcoopscoach LawnSite Member

i am planning on getting a large apartment complex next season as i am mowing a huge burm in front of the complex this season and i have no idea how to bid it out... i believe there will be approximately six large buildings that are three stories... the burm takes about 45 min to mow now... i don't do much trimming now but i will have trimming and cleanup next season as well as lots of little things to make it look nice... any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. i'm not great at estimating... i base it on how long i think it will take me to mow and i try to be a little less than others...

2. ok4me2xlr8

ok4me2xlr8 LawnSite Member

I would try a dollar a minute just figure how long it will take you. make sure you dont regret it!!!

3. tallcoopscoach

tallcoopscoach LawnSite Member

thanks. that's good advice... i will consider that.

anyone else?

4. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

break down each task and assign times to them, add them up and assign your rate to them....

you have to know your costs of doing business before you can successfully bid any job. it you don't know what it costs you to operate your business, then i would suggest figuring it out asap. Knowing these numbers is the only way to have a successful business..

5. drmiller100

drmiller100 LawnSite Senior Member

ask the customer how much they want to pay.
    you might be surprised.

6. ON-THE-GREEN LANDSCAPING

ON-THE-GREEN LANDSCAPING LawnSite Member

Ask them what they where paying before if they will tell you some dont like 2. Come up with a $ number for the month and Like 1,200 * 12 = 14,000 year.....come up with a good number for the year and give them that price, From what i have read thats how most Appts bids go i i here you can get like 30,000 to 40,000 from big apartments get one a day for 6 days and you dont have to do anything else LOL