bidding a car dealership

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by roget, Jun 5, 2004.

1. roget

roget LawnSite Member
    from texas

Just got an offer to shape up and maintain a 2 month old mercedes car dealership. How would you bid the work with all the trimming and the island hopping. Should I measure square footage and attach a per foot price or should I get it in shape first charging an hourly rate, then charge for the time it takes me to maintain each week? Also any tips or suggestions, equipment, insurance, contract would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

2. Garden Panzer

Garden Panzer Banned
    from Seattle

Done the Benzo dealers.... you gotta watch the trimming on the polished cars, plus leaf blowers with dust, plus yuppie's in the parking lot, then afids in trees spitting on cars....on & on....
    My advice is it will take longer than you think..
    oh yea irrigation spraying cars, etc.....
    :eek:

3. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

I would work a deal where i would do them for free for a year, two, or three for a new car.

If not I would run very fast away from that project.

4. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

I think Panzer's got a point (German tank, German car: Maybe he's on to something!): a Benz dealership is likely to be waaaaaay picky, so base your estimate on catching the clippings. You let 'em fly and you'll have troubles for sure.

The hourly rate thing is kinda dicey, if you ask me. I don't like people knowing what I make because they want to fix that rate permanently.

There are contracts and threads on this site re: commercial work, might want to look at that material.

If the islands are small, you should base your estimate on the use of a 21" walk-behind. They're also easier to keep outta trouble. Insurance or no, you don't wanna be taking a dink out of the door of a car that retails for $45,000.

Flip side of getting this gig? Visibility and prestige. Marketing your company in the future will go VERY well if this dealership likes you and will do the testimonial thing for you.

5. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Try to mow it when the business is closed (Sat. Sun.), that way your're not dodging cars and people (out of sight-out of mind). Also be wary about damage to cars. Some dealers will try to blame you for scratches and dents on new cars sitting around mowing areas. Carry plenty of liability insurance (2-3 million minimum) so that you are protected from serious injuries or damage. One thing you can be sure of is that there will be a lot of trimming, so take that into account when estimating time to do the job. Cleaning up the parking areas can be tricky when operating a blower near new cars. Allow extra time for that as well. If you have to mow during business hours, try to park your rig where it can't be seen from the showroom. Most dealers don't want maintenance equipment within sight of their customers. Last but not least, do not operate your equipment near window shopper customers. There are a lot of lawsuit happy people out there waiting for a chance to cash in if they get hit with a piece of debris kicked up by the equipment. Good luck!

6. walshdevo10

walshdevo10 LawnSite Member

I definetely agree with the rest of the guys, but just want to emphasize the point that any, I MEAN ANY scratch on a vehicle will be blamed on you regardless of how it happened. So overall, I would bid on the points of excessive trimming, islands, etc plus add in enough to cover your insurance cost since it would be a good idea to up your coverage if not already done so.

7. Garden Panzer

Garden Panzer Banned
    from Seattle

I would do a chemical edge on my lots...your weedeater will tear up a ground effects kit on some yuppie ride.. The dealerships NEVER close except after 9:00pm or so, forget mowing on weekends- BIG days. You'll need to mow before the detailers arrive, they WILL wash cars everyday out on the lot- so if you get in and out prior to 7:00am or so maybe you'll pull it off....Good Luck Comrade
    :cool: