Bidding a commercial account

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by r_d337, Mar 25, 2008.

1. r_d337

r_d337 LawnSite Member

I am just getting into bidding some commercial accounts, residential are easy as far as I am concernced. Its just some commercials are so big with countless trees and building to take into account. I don't like estimating by the square foot because one place that is 10 thousand may take twice as long as another place that is 10 thousand square feet. I think I have been able to nail down my mowing price, but it is the fertilizing, aerating, bed & shrub maintenance, and spring cleanup that is getting me. Tell me what you think of these numbers

5 Somewhat large commercial properties
    (approx. 9 hours of work solo)

Mowing/trimming etc. $570/ cut

Fertilizing: 125% that of my mowing rate, so $712.50

Aerating (with tow behind): 165% of mowing rate, so $940.50

Spring Cleanup: 135% of mowing rate, so $769.50

What do you guys think about basing all the other options as a percentage of the mowing rate?
  2. r_d337

r_d337 LawnSite Member

Also how do most of you charge for shrub & bed maintenance? I don't do mulch, I will mostly just be keeping the major weeds out of the beds. And as far as the shrubs, they are in pretty good shape and may only need my attention once this year.
  3. pderenzo

pderenzo LawnSite Member

Here is a recommendation. Bring on 2 or 3 more individuals for this job. Your hiring at a lower rate than the $63 your wanting to charge your customer. Get the job done in a shorter time for less. Adjust your quote to reflect the true time it takes with your new help plus markup for your hiring rate.

Blessing to you all,