Bidding a Creek Ditch and Ravine Brush Clearing - Hand Tools Only

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by WhistlePig Hollow, Feb 27, 2014.

1. JeffH1

JeffH1 LawnSite Member

I've said this before, but you really do some great work! I could honestly look at your before and after pics all day. That looks very good!
  2. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

Thx! The guys that do my clearing for that type of work have worked with me for over a decade. I've got another crew that I use for cedar clearing too. They do pretty good work I admit. My point with posting those pics is a man with a saw, pole saw, power pruner, loppers and a rake can make a difference. That property on the river had never been cleared. It was a jungle and even had flood debris piled against it. The guys used a backpack blower to clean off the rocks at the end and it really looked good.

I have to give the hand crew credit on that one. I just made the brush and flood debris disappear. We could barely see the rocks when we started and you couldn't walk to the end of the property it was so thick.

20130307_141729 (640x480).jpg
  3. WhistlePig Hollow

WhistlePig Hollow LawnSite Member

thanks for a great discussion guys! I appreciate all the advice. I wish I could get some equipment in there, when I get pics posted, you will see, it just isn't happening. In some areas you might sneak a mini ex but it is tight, full of mature trees, steep hillsides with undercut banks and just looks like it is a man power job. I have quite a bit of experience on a rope and agree that "help off the street" is not a good idea for jobs like this. I have access to a couple of guys that do their own thing but can be persuaded to come along for the right price :) I spoke to our local equipment rental company and he's going to set me up with a couple of extra tools for the job. I submit my bid in a couple of days so I'll keep ya'll posted.
  4. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

Good luck. Get some pics of you rappelling on the sides of the ravine. Hopefully you can get the job and do it before all the leaves come out.
  5. anthonyp

anthonyp LawnSite Member

Frankly I think `hand` work is preferable to a machine, although the machine work has it`s place....I use the machine (which ever one) to get the bulk done, but always have to come behind and clean up, and neaten up by hand....Your work looks great, and must give you good satisfaction Tony