1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bidding a scale Job

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Band Bandit, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Band Bandit

Band Bandit LawnSite Member

I was wondering how you guys would price a scale job consisting of Planting trees shrubs Flowers? How many times would you muiltiply the cost of the plants to get your bid price?
  2. start2finish

start2finish LawnSite Senior Member

what do you mean by scale job?

I used to go 2.5 my materials to get my job, but in the last year or so I estimate the time involved in the process and multipy by my hourly rates for equipment and labor and add 15% to all materials. That's my price.
  3. northwest lawn

northwest lawn LawnSite Member

for flats of flowers we charge the cost of the plant then double what it costs for flats of flowers. so if the flat costs seven we charge 21 and for trees if they cost 50 we will charge 100 that covers our cost pluss install
  4. wbw

wbw LawnSite Fanatic

talking about a job that requires you to pay "scale" wages? If so, you will need to become much more sophisticated in your bidding process. 2X your material cost may get you the job for Mrs. Jones down the street, but won't work here. You will most likely either not get the job or lose money. You will be bidding against LANDSCAPE CONTRACTORS. These guys bid their jobs just like any other contractor on the job, i.e. plumber, mason, electrician. Do you really think the electrical contractor on an office building bids the job based soley on his materials cost? No way!

You will need to develop unit costs. There is a learning curve to this and it can become expensive. Find a mentor to show you the ropes.

I am not doubting your landscaping abilities at all. This type of commercial work is truly a whole new ball game. Good luck!!!
  5. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Good post! bidding scale means union scale thats how its always been called around me. Union laborer $24.50 + bennies per hr. and it has to be documented, machine rates per hr. materials cost and mark up%, estimated down time and a lot more. Takes some time to get it down but once you do theres a lot of work thats available if you pay scale. BTW- if you have a wife that can put a company in her name she becomes a minority owner and they get a better chance at most scale jobs.
  6. Band Bandit

Band Bandit LawnSite Member

Thanks for the advice guys i have been working on this bid for a few days now and it is a lot more intensive than a regular bid. Lot more variables to consider like Certified payroll Laborer VS. Operator pay Ect... I am new to this website but i am sure it will become a very useful place to get information.
  7. northwest lawn

northwest lawn LawnSite Member

guess i was way off on what i thought he wanted...sorry