Bidding a townhouse complex

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Joel B., Jul 30, 2002.

1. Joel B.

Joel B. LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

Have an opportunity to bid on a 11 unit (six of the units are two family ones, and the other five are four family units) town house complex. They are looking for mow/trim/blow. Anything special I need to know? I was thinking of dividing the property into "yards", figuring per yard price and multiplying by total number of "yards". I am also bidding on snowplowing.

This would be a nice account to get and I appreciate any advice,

Joel B.

2. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Joel.

Sounds to me like you have a pretty good plan for "bidding".

I would ask them for bid specification myself. W/ townhouses and condos, you should also be able to do full service - spring clean-up, prune 1-2 times, mulching, annual/perennial program, fertilization program - possibly lawn overseeding and/or aeration and fall clean-up too. Some ask for weekly/monthly weedig, and vegetation control of parking lots too. Get the full picture so your bid will be comparable. Sell yourself - and make sure you have all necessary insurance (snow CLEARING and pesticide coverage).

Good luck

Bob

3. Potomac Lawns Inc.

Potomac Lawns Inc. LawnSite Senior Member

Joel
    I do a development with 104 townehomes and about 75 single famly homes, make sure you know exactly what they want and you should even walk it with them to know for yourself, as home owners try sometimes to get you to do things that are not in your contract and you may loose money, as far as the bidding for me i figured mine up on an hourly rate and gave myself an extra hour or so as a fudge factor, I have now had the contract for 3 1/2 years and compete against some other very good companies but each year i still get it, Just get toknow the home owners a little and wave when they do, Once they know you abd how you work they normally do not change unless work gets sloppy or price really goes up.

Steve

Potomac Lawns Inc.