Bidding against a friend of yours.Would you?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ROCKYM, Apr 22, 2005.

ROCKYM LawnSite Member

Help me out guys, yesterday a man stops me and asks me to come bid his yard.So I go over to his place and the yard looks very bad,weeds in the beds, places where it should have been weedeated havent been touched for several months.The yard is VERY long and the man says he hasnt been there for three weeks.Anyway come to find out the guy who is doing it is one of my friends.The homeowner is so tired of dealing with this guy he is going to quit him no matter what.Would you bid on the lawn?Its a 400.00 per month lawn.
  2. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

Absolutly. The customer is not happy.
  3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

This has been brought up before. Approach the friend, first. It could be that the friend is just not interested in the prop., either due to logistics, or some other reason. In our circle, there is no way we could take something like that. It is just unethical. We DO approach each other and let one another know, though. Now, if this guy is going to switch anyway, it could be that the friend may say "just take it - if someone else is going to make money on it, it may as well be you." The main line is, is that it's just not worth a friendship - even if the customer did approach you. There is just way too much work out there.
  4. Davis Lawn Mowing LLC

Davis Lawn Mowing LLC LawnSite Senior Member

Bid it, win it, and then when you see your friend, tell him he's a dumbass. $400 a month lawn, is your friend quite possibly the biggest ****** since Slingblade?
  5. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

$400.00 HECK YA! your friend should have been doing his job, especially for a 400.00 property. Man I wish I could pick up a gold mine like that! :) Business is business! How could you let a 400.00 account get bad? ;) I would tell him after you get the account though. You will make friends and loose friends in business, let alone the same type of business where you might be bidding against each other. Ask yourself if the shoe was on the other foot what would he do? I know I would take the job! :p
  6. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

One of my best friends and high school buddies got into lawn care last year and there were a couple times we came up against eachother in the bidding process. We see eachother during and after work almost every day of the week. We communicate and always talk to eachother about our lawns, and share information. When we go up against eachother, we both realize its just business and we don't give it a personal thought. He wins some, I win some, and sometimes both of us lose some. The key is communication between friends. Once you lose communication, it will seem like one of you is underhanding the other.
  7. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd ask the friend what's up with the yard & owner

$400 month may sound great ..... that's at like $114 per cut .... but is it Full Service with Spring & Fall clean, Palm Trimming, Weeding, Fert & all included in that price ....3 weeks since last visit ..... maybe your friend is still waiting fore last months payment

Gotta talk to your buddy
  8. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

Good point Fantasy Lawns. Is it typical of your friend to neglect an account or do poor work? There may be two sides to this story.
  9. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

WOODY- 2 words SPELL CHECK! Just kidding "eachother" is each,space, other. Just bustin them :waving:
  10. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

Talk to you friend first. This guy could be a PITA.......or your friend is just a slug. I'm sure it's one or the other.