1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Bidding against a larger company

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Mflip7, Nov 20, 2007.

1. Mflip7

Mflip7 LawnSite Member

Seeking information about a company that bids or underbids landscape contractors, and once they get the bid they sub it out to local contractors. and from what i understand, they don't do any of the work themselves. I believe it is American services or something like that

2. STRINGALATION

STRINGALATION LawnSite Senior Member

You Want To Work For Them ?

3. Mflip7

Mflip7 LawnSite Member

no i want to take as many of thier cust. as i can

4. SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES LawnSite Senior Member

it is hard to compete with large companies a lot of times on money. they have more purchasing alliances and can and will sometimes low ball the businesss just so that they can say they did it. Go in there and try to build the strongest relationship you can with the decision makers. if they are by the book sticklers and all they care about is the money, tell them you will not sacrifice your service for the sake of a few dollars and move on. If they are personable, work with them, build the relationship and see if it gets you the business. Really show then what benefits they will have going with a more agile smaller company who cares about the quality of work they produce. No one will pay significantly more for service vs. money, but they will sometimes pay a little and that may be all it takes. once you make a name for yourself, you can be the guy pissing on the little guy.

5. leaflandscape

leaflandscape LawnSite Member

Don't go out of your way to take their customers, they've probably already realized these guys are the cheapest. You'll kick their @$$es better by doing a great job at what you do and you'll further your reputation. If not there's always sugar in the gastank...