Bidding and Labor force

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by TSG, Feb 17, 2007.

1. TSG

TSG LawnSite Senior Member

When I started this buisness it was going to be a closely held family buisness for 2-3 years, then expand.
    Since then, word got out and I am being offerred several resorts.
    The first is an all 8 hr/ 3 person job that owners paid 650.00 per cut.
    To me it is more like 750.00. That said, Is it better to work up slow
    and get the crew you want, or take the job and worry about the details later.
    I think I know my answer on this already.
    Anyone else go thur this same thing. It would also me buying equipment that
    I was would not work as well in the other residential's...
  2. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

Last year being my first year, I haven't been through it yet, but I've put in some big bids with similar predicaments. I have been racking my brain as to whether it is more economical to spend more time at the property with the equipment I already have (taking time away from other projects, more labor, less efficient), or to purchase bigger equipment (quicker, but not suitable for smaller properties) It seems that the bids I'm up against wont allow for the money needed to go either direction. I'm bidding what it will truly cost me, (I know I'm higher than some of the other bids) and trying to win the bids with my references and proven track record. We'll see.
  3. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

every area is different. mowing residential lawns with 2 other employees i can gross 800-1200 a day. it does vary and you take the good with the bad and on the flib side the lows are 500-600. the way i see it is that if you get behind on a big job its harder to catch up because you are truely doing 24 man hours of work. with smaller residential jobs we spend a few hours just in drive time. so if i split up the crew, we are not each driving to 18 lawns in a day, but only 9, saving time that can be used to catch up. its a tuff call though, thats one nice check per month, depends on how busy you are too
  4. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

$650 for 8 hours for 3 guys is $27 per man hour... I would want more.... at least $850
  5. TSG

Thats the way I am looking at it
    The math just isnt there
    and it would also mean buying another 48" something
  6. salandscape

salandscape LawnSite Member

Just out of curiousity which resort is it? Have spent a lot of time in the area, don't work there.
  7. Services Plus  LLC

Services Plus LLC LawnSite Member
    from CT

Plus at $27 per hr. that's not including your mowers upkeep, gas, insurance, taxes, etc. Sounds way to low to me..but just my 2 cents...
  8. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

1200 at the least
  9. TSG

Thanks for all the input
    I am going in at $1000.00
    I wont get it, but next year maybe they will come around