1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bidding apartment complex 23 acres, whats your Guesstimate price?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by privatelawn, Sep 25, 2007.

1. privatelawn

privatelawn LawnSite Senior Member

Its about 23 acres with 38 buildings, Just trying to figure out if my guess is close to what youd charge... at the moment there are 8 guys doing it and it takes them all day, so about 64 man hours per cut which dont include the hedge trimming, I figure an additional 100 hrs per month on hedge trimming. I think there slacking and should take me 6 guys all day. Edging to be done weekly also.

How many z's would you have there if you were planning on spending all day? would 1 big one and a walk behind for the slopes do? or 2 z's and 1 or 2 walk behinds?

I figure $3000 per cut x 40 cuts = $120k a year

2. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

2 guys on Z's, 1 guy edging, and the other 3 trimming.
    I think your price is a little on the high side. I would be around the $2K mark.
    Your charging $375 per hour (3000/8), which equals $62.50 PER MAN hour. That would be a nice profit for you.
  3. Tim Wright

Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member

I thnk you are fairly close to being accurate, however I would plan on 8 guys. If you have to eat the cost of two guys, figure out how much that will be and if you can put up with the pain of paying or not.

I don't know about the hedge trimming every month. Around here it is in the spring or fall. In the summer will kill the hedges. Hedges will take a while longer than you think because of clean up.

Don't forget, they will try to get you to do many things outside of your contract also, so you have to figure in slop money.

4. privatelawn

Actually the $3000 is with the hedge trimming also which im putting at about 100 man hrs per month, now thats a very big guesstimate as I suck at estimating hedge trimming, with that added I figure $3k is about $30 per man hour...

5. privatelawn

Hedges grow so fast here, need to be done atleast every 2 months

6. S.A.L.

S.A.L. LawnSite Member
    from NOLA

I trim hedges every 2 months too.
    Although it's not completely necessary my customers appreciate the "always manicured" look and it turns a pretty good profit when done quickly.
    There is very little mess when done so often.
    I trim, blow the trimmings onto the lawn, then mulch as I service the lawn like normal.
    It's super fast and it is in my pricing as well.

7. jcthorne

jcthorne LawnSite Member

I think you're going to be way high on that bid. I also feel like you're bid could be lacking some things that other companies will include such as weed control, fertilization, bed program (including pre-emerge, insecticide, fungicide and post-emerge) irrigation maintenance, maybe aquatic weed control, and possibly mulch.

It's also possible that you're over estimating hours. I've got a 27 acre complex that has 44 buildings and it takes 7 hours with 5 guys excluding hedge trimming. You'll also save tons of money with a good bed program and usage of a growth regulator on the shrubs to cut down on trimming frequency.
  8. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

I really don't understand why it takes all day with 8 guys? With the right equipment 6 guys should knock that out in 5 hours or less... IMHO
  9. alwaysgreenirrigation

alwaysgreenirrigation LawnSite Member

I have seen similar complexes around here go for as low 500-600. I personally think I could do it with a four man crew in 8 hours or less Thats just mow,trim,blow. I only edge once a month. I guess if you figured 40 per man hour that would be 1280. I hope you do get 3000.00 I bid higher than a lot of LCO's around here, and feel my clients get what they pay for....wish more LCO's would demand more for their services.
  10. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you searious? I edge every visit.