1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bidding Apartment Complexes

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jtrice11, Jun 10, 2005.

1. jtrice11

jtrice11 LawnSite Senior Member

Does anyone have any methods on how to bid apartment complexes? Does the # of units, say in a 3-6 story complex impact the bid? What's the best way to go about it, by the time it will take or the square footage of turf?
  2. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

Fixed costs (plus) variable costs (plus) labour (plus) profit (equals) price.
  3. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

All complexes are diffferent. you need to consider all aspects. feet of edging, acreage of turf, shrubs, is it a slum or hi rent. Irrigated....Town house and apartment complexes you almost need to measure it out, but also get onto the property on one of the days the current landscaper is mowing and see how long it takes him and how many guys he has. then plug your numbers from that...taking into account any inneficiency you noted or mower size differences...
  4. jtrice11

jtrice11 LawnSite Senior Member

BCSteel, you mention "variable costs". Not sure what you mean?

The only thing I can think of is price of gas.
  5. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

add to that rain, trash, equipment breakdown, employee hiring, training, etc. I think those are some of the things meant as "variable costs"
  6. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

Any cost that isnt written in stone is a variable. I dont know how you run you business and where you spend your money so I'll leave that up to you. But for example, gas, labour (time), maintenance/breakdowns...