1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bidding Apartments by how many units?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gr8cutter, May 21, 2004.

1. gr8cutter

gr8cutter LawnSite Member

Has anyone heard of this. We were bidding two apartment complexes next to each other. 1 had 97 units and the other 127. I put together two bids and they told us we were high on 1 and low on the other. I could not figure this out. I had walked both properties and new my bid was solid. He then told me the company that has the contracts with them (84 apartment complexes) bid y the unit. That is why I was off. There is more work on the 97 unit complex than there is on the 127 unit one. Has anyone ran across this? They still are awarding us the bid as the price on them together was close.
  2. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

I've thought about quoting like that but there is a lot of variance in the maintenance to unit equation. One complex I do it is $40 per unit per month and on the low end one is $12 per unit per month. Thats why I take a walk around and base my price on the actual work that needs to be done.
  3. gr8cutter

gr8cutter LawnSite Member

Wow so a 100 unit compex you could get $4000 a month? We get an avg of 7.5 here.
  4. imalandscper

imalandscper LawnSite Member

unit is a complete building not per apartment
  5. BCSteel

To me a duplex would be two units or a 4 home attached town house would be 4 units. Appartments are different because they are all stacked up.

There are lots of factors that will change the price per unit. Amount of hedging, amount of lawn, types of shrubs, ease of accessibility etc all have a big impact more than the number of units.

My average per unit is around $20.
  6. justmjc

justmjc LawnSite Senior Member

lol, we do a 9 unit complex for $209/week.... Yep only $209, isn't that pathetic......

It's done in 3 hours with 2 men, only because i wanted some pick up work this year, but this area is known for VERY cheap prices.....
  7. outsidepride

outsidepride LawnSite Member

I only do apartments and townhomes i find that the apartments are easier as there is usaually less weed eating to do townhomes usually each have there own walkway and back patio plus all the other stuff to trim around trees etc. I find walking over the property is the best going by unit doesnt mean much because some i do are 30 unit townhomes but only take 1.5 hrs with 2 people yet another property has 85 units and takes 4 hours with 4 people. Yet a 100 unit apartment only take 1.2 hours with two people.
  8. BCSteel

justmjc... You mean that each unit is paying $92.89 per month? Just for mowing? Must be some massive property they are on.