1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bidding BIG accounts?????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Big Daddy Choper, Apr 10, 2008.

1. Big Daddy Choper

Big Daddy Choper LawnSite Member

I faxed in a cover letter, a simple contract, copy of license, and insurance, as well as a rate sheet to one of our areas big building contractors, and nothing...suggestions
  2. IMAGE

IMAGE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from midwest

I think you gave them to much info. You gave them no reason to call you by giving them your rate sheet, they allready knew your prices. You want them to call you to find out more.

Also a contract? Umm NOOO dont give them a contract until they commit. That is putting the cart before the horse big time.

Your best bet would of been just a simple letter saying your interested in working with them, and this is what you do. You can include a line saying you have all necassary ins and licenses, and they are available upon request.

OR another good thing would of been to just call them and ask to talk to someone about bidding on XXX services for thier properties.
  3. Paulup

Paulup LawnSite Senior Member

You laid all of your cards on the table. By giving him your rates, you guaranteed that he is shopping around and using your rate to drive other people's price down. That wasn't a bid, it was an offer to do his work for XXX amount of money per week/month. Now that he knows what you are willing to do the job for, he can show it to another LCO and say, "Hey buddy, can you beat this rate?" Of course another LCO is going to lower his price if he can still make a living doing it, and you played yourself into getting low balled.
  4. Big Daddy Choper

Big Daddy Choper LawnSite Member

Thanks guys! I appreciate the good thoughts!