Bidding Commercial

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by EagleLandscape, Dec 8, 2003.

1. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Ok, before anyone goes off on this don't tell me to search this forum.
    I know all prices are different than everyone elses, but I need somewhere to start.

I run solo. I use a Toro 21" Suzuki 5.5, and all commercial 2 cycle trimmers/blowers and such. I work pretty fast.

I'm going to college this next semester at Texas A&M, and while I'm gone, my dad will be doing the bidding and estimating.

What are some of yalls numbers per sq footage on mowing?

Numbers on Linear feet of string trimmer

linear ft of edging. So forth and so on.

Any insight on figuring out a rough estimate would be great.

I need to give my dad something to base his bids on so I don't get screwed over with something I'm going to lose money on.

Thanks everyone, and I always appreciate postive input from those who want to help.

2. EagleLandscape

I will have my 36" up and running by the spring too.

3. bayfish

bayfish LawnSite Senior Member

String trimming a straight line such as fences with a tall stand of grass: about 2 min/100 lineal ft.

First time edging about 20 min/100 lineal ft.
    second time : 3 min/100.

A 36" w/b mower will do 14K sq. ft. per hour at 1 mph. You have to determine how fast you can walk it or ride behind it and obstacles to mow around. A 21" mower will do 7500 at 1 mph. Half again as much at 1.5 mph.

Now these numbers are based on ideal conditions. You have to determine if they are realistic in your circumstance. You most likely won't over estimate time by using thse numbers but could underestimate. However, it's a good reference point. You factor in degree of difficulty and type of equipment to use.

A measuring wheel is a must. Measure every aspect of the job including counting bushes to be trimmed, trees to be pruned and shrub beds to be mulched. 1 yrd of mulch at 4" will cover 100 sq ft.

Thse numbers are a reference point, not reflection of an exact science. Your judgement will have to enter in.

Hope this helps.

4. EagleLandscape

That's perfect. That definately gives me something to go off of. I'm buying a wheel this week.

My dad does computer aided irrigation and he does all the work for Brinker. ie: Chili's - Eckerds - does alot of Target stuff, Mac Grill. McDonalds (alot of them). So I've got some good contacts to get some upcoming landscape install / maintence contracts:)

w00t w00t!:blob2: