1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bidding Condos/Apts.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by advanced, Mar 21, 2005.

1. advanced

advanced LawnSite Member

Hi, I would like some input on bidding condo/apt complexes. I would to bid total property (lawn care, bushes, fertilizing etc.), and also separate price for lawn only. Are there any rules of thumb to go by?

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Use the same rules that you use for any residential property. Your mowers and trucks and trimmers and edgers and gas tank and accountant and tax man and storage place and computer and insurance man don't give a hoot what the property is used for so why would there be a difference in price.

You do know what your costs and overhead and profit margin is so you can know what to charge, Right??
  3. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

My only guideline (especially for condos) is don't try to cut them a deal hoping to get them as a loyal customer. Most if not all condo associations look for the lowest price, and go out for bids every year.
  4. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

5. ken754

ken754 LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

My wife used to manage a townhome community and they were paying $20 a unit per month.
  6. lawn_pro

lawn_pro LawnSite Senior Member

I agree, no loyalty at all...the lowest price always gets the contract
  7. Equipguy

Equipguy LawnSite Senior Member

One method you may want to consider is find out how many buildings make up the complex and estimate what your time would be to service that building for each of the services you want to bid. Then address any other areas that need service such as retention ponds, sports fields etc. We find that often times the property manager will tell us what the condo is currently paying. Also ask the manager or association pres why there taking bids. Are they just trying to keep the current LCO honest or is there really a problem not being addressed. Good Luck!!

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

How can you say that. I do not sell price. I sell return on investment. Commercial property is income producing property. By using me they will have a better chance of renting the property and of keeping the tenant happy. This is the benefit of having my company do the maintenance. I am a pro that knows what the commercial owner wants. It is not mowed grass, it is happy tenants paying rent. What kind of commercial properties do I deal with? The kind that deals with a business professional that understands his business and can help him reach his goals. NO, not all commercial sites go with the cheapest LCO, They will go with the LCO that adds to their bottom line. Be a pro that sells that. As far as condos there is a value to your service that you provide. You are protecting the investment that the owners have in the common property. The reason that those people bought a condo was to not think about grass so get your mind off grass and do not sell grass cutting. They do have a great concern about their investments of which this is one of them and maybe their biggest. Sell your service as protecting that investment.
  9. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

I have to disagree with condos not being loyal. I guess the ones I do are on a smaller scale anywhere from a 4 unit up to a 29 unit. So far I've never had them take new bids each year. I recieved half my condo accounts through referrals so that might make a difference I dont know. I always make a point to have a 30 second conversation or at least a good morning or something when I see an owner, maybe getting on a somewhat personal basis with some of the homeowners helps to since they are the ones voting for the contractor. Condos, around me anyway, want quality and dont always go for the lowest price like commercials. I'll take a condo over a commercial building anyday.
  10. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Good post PMLawn, gives a different perspective. I am going to look at a 30 unit complex next week, I will definatly propose it.