Bidding first job!!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Iowa Seeder, Feb 2, 2007.

1. Iowa Seeder

Iowa Seeder LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

I have been in the hydrseeding bussiness for a couple of years now and am wanting to get into the lawn maint. side of things. I recieved a call yeasterday from a developer to bid a mowing and trimming only job for a condo subdivision. From talking to the developer it would be mowing and trimming only. No snow plowing, weed and feed or lanscaping. Any idea's on how to start bidding on this. Thank's

2. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Figure out how much time you will need to get done with the equipment you have and the hourly rate you will be charging then figure gas, mileage, and the cost of everything else you will need to get the job done.

3. Iowa Seeder

from Iowa

The equipment I have right now consist of a Toro commercial Z with a 60" deck, and a Gravely 52' ZT, Stihl trimmer and blower. How many of you guy's or gal's use walk behinds with or without sulky's. Also do you find customers want the grass bagged or not? Just wondering if I have all the equipment I need to get started if this works out.

4. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Well if you're doing this through the developer, then you'd need to find out if they want it bagged, not the people living there.

I have a condo complex, and it's pretty cut-up with a lot of smaller turf areas. I use the 48" walk behind on it, and even then some of the spots I think a 36" would be better.

Since it's so cut-up with a lot of beds, etc, I don't use the sulky. I DO use it on other properties where things are more wide-open.

5. Iowa Seeder

from Iowa

If I where to get the account I would have no problem getting a 36" walk behind. Most of the area is pretty wide open though. I would be mowing this with 1-2 other helpers. Do you find it works best with one person on the zrt one on the walk behind and one trimming? I would think this would speed things up somewhat. Thank's

6. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Well there are only 10 units up at this point(the complex will total 36 units when done), generally I use the WB only. Takes me around an hour to mow/trim/blow. But that was this spring, the backside was seeded this fall so the turf area is going to double.

Sometimes my partner will help me and in that case he'll usually trim while I run the WB.