1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

bidding for a commercial job

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Shawninfl, Sep 28, 2006.

1. Shawninfl

Shawninfl LawnSite Member

How do you start out bidding for a commercial bid? I have several opportunities and don't want to under-bid, help please......
  2. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Well you'll want to have a talk with the property manager. Dress nice, shave, and cut your hair. Be polite and smile. LISTEN to them, and keep your trap shut except to ask THEM questions about what they want. See what he/she expects throughout the course of the season. Take notes, and walk the property with him/her, and also by yourself - more than once - if necessary. Figure your time and prices, and bid accordingly.

Sometimes they will give you a bid packet with everything they want done, and all you need to do is put your prices in.

Either way, put the completed bid in a big envelope along with a business card. Next year, each bid I do will have a multi-page "notebook" with a letterhead, my mission statement, a picture of my rig, a copy of my insurance certificate, and any letters of recommendation along with a current customer list. You may want to try that. I think it looks professional to submit a bid that way and will leave a good impression on a potential customer.

Now, take that advice with a grain of salt. I only landed one commercial contract this year, a 36-unit condo complex which is pretty small. It's also the only commercial I even put a bid in on.

But this is the course of action I plan to use for the upcoming season, and I think it's a pretty good one.

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Commercial/residential, there is no difference, you need to know how long it will take you to do the work.
    The only real problem is some commercial is larger so you will lose more if you mess up
  4. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

Also keep in mind in some cases the trmendous amount of trimming that can be involved in commercial property, its not hard to mow down 2-3 acre sites,its the time consuming trimming and edging and then blowing. This is why in some cases a 3-4 man crew is best suited for. Remember grass is grass it all needs mowed. Do what you want, but commercial accounts can be painful if you under bid. GOOD LUCK