1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bidding for Dummies

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jtrice11, Dec 2, 2004.

1. jtrice11

jtrice11 LawnSite Senior Member

Are there a couple general rules of thumb when bidding a property for lawn care? Do you bid differently for commercial vs. residential?
  2. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

The #1 rule in creating an estimate ==>"the price MUST be greater than your cost"

This may seem simple .... yet many ....many ....many .....questions come up .... How much fore this .... how much for that ..... if you know your cost .... than you know your price

#2 Rule ... what you are selling is ..... TIME .... sure you have a service but in related to the estimate .... its the relationship between cost & time .... How much time to perform the job

Fore me my commercial rate is more than resi rate .... as I have more potential liability & fore the most part I must have (or I hope they request fore it) higher amounts of insurance cost, WC & fore some even commercial vehicle insurance

I just got the local UPS account n they require $1M on the vehicles .... I told em OK but your gonna pay for the premium increase which was OK with them .... sure all my clients benefit but it's really just fore them

Any who .... keep an eye on the numbers as one grows ... as they change as should your hourly rate ....also as one equips with more effiecient equip & better employees your ability to perform task in less time increases .... this allows one to be more competive in the market as the cost are less
  3. jtrice11

jtrice11 LawnSite Senior Member

Were thinking of buying new or close to new equipment for the very reason that you mentioned, low maintenance and realiability. Both I believe contribute to more efficient work. Is insurance required on all vehicles if you do a commercial job?