bidding help needed ASAP

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by trumpdriver, Feb 18, 2006.

1. trumpdriver

trumpdriver LawnSite Member

Just making sure this monster has all of the bases covered before submitting.. Very large project, mowing trimming and edging only..Here it is:

323 acres open area relatively flat, no trees or obstructions small amount of trimming, no edging. To be mowed 2 times per month at height of 1 1/2-2 inches (Bat wing or large rotary mower with tractor I am looking at $59.00 per acre

506 acres open area, flat with no obstructions, small amount of trimming with no edging mowed 1 time per month at height of 3-4 inches(bat wing or large rotary with tractor) I am looking at $59.00 per acre.

473 acres of housing/buildings/parking area. Basically a small town. Mowed every 7-10 days, lots of trimming, dividers between parking lots etc. will be using 4 Exmark Laser Z 72 inch riders, 1 48 inch walk behind. I am looking at $77.50 acre

98,700 LF of edging every 14-20 days.... I am looking at $.30 LF

I am thinking I am ball park but then get to second guessing myself. This is a 3 month deal with an option to bid for yearly. First impressions will go along ways...

Any comments or advice will be appreciated...

2. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

Be ready for those people here that will tell you that if you don't know how to bid a job then you should not bid at all.......
  3. trumpdriver

Your right....I put my armor on already..... I have bid alot of smaller jobs nothing this size. Just second guessing myself on applying the same method of bidding.....Somebody that has never had this problem wouldn't understand anyway....:)
  4. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

Everything looks good, I hope you will get it. Hell of a way to start the season. My only concern is the .30 per LF, however if that's what your market will bare then it's a done deal. Keep us informed. How many days,labor hours, equipments cost are you figuring, what will be your total cost.
  5. trumpdriver

I will have 21 days per cycle. With 3 cycles during the contract. I have estimated 2078 man hours per cycle and equipment costs at 57.00 per hour.(costs are high due to using contract to pay for all new equipment purchases rathr than finance). Total costs estimated at just over 118,00. I will re figure the edging, you may be right. probably should be closer to .10lf
  6. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

When you start talking large acreages around here it drops dramatically. Like to the range of 20-25 per acre. Maybe in the SE. it is different, but I don't believe you can get what you are thinking. I would almost bet my house, that the person that gets it is in the $23 per acre on the wide open. The housing project I would suspect just needs to be bid as if it was a bunch of residentials that are gaggled, so the person getting that one will factor in the no travel time, no load unload time etc.
  7. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

You'll never get equipment to mow that. A WAM or tractor with a bat wing behind it will never cut that much acreage fast enough.

Think about it.

You're going to mow 323 acres every other week down to 1 1/2". Most WAMs will probably cut about 5-6 acres / hour, and that's regular mowing. You'll be lucky to cut 2 acres / hour of 6" tall grass down to 1 1/2".

That's 150 hours to cut the 323 acres alone.

Then the other stuff will be about 8" tall. Basically you're looking at a bush hog mower, which now you're only cutting 8' at a time, at the most.

Don't get me wrong, but you're not going to be able to cut this large acreage like normal.

At 1.5" every other week, there's going to be pocket gophers / moles that build dirt mounds up as well.

Anyways, my price would be.....
    $76k / month.

I got this price by taking how many acres to cover / month. 323 acres two times, 506 acres once, 473 acres 4 times. So, you're talking you're going to have to cover 3,044 acres / month. At $25 / acre, you're talking $76,100. If you throw in your edging at .30 / linear foot, which is about 5 times what it should be, you'd be over $100k / month.
  8. trumpdriver

quick update.... Bids went in and opened. Got a call from contract rep said ALL BIDS came in higher than they expected and they were calling to ask everyone to look over the bids and if we felt we could adjust please do so and return by next day at 1 pm. I tweaked about 10% and drove 3 hours to turn it in. Now the waiting game..... In the meantime...getting equipment serviced to start the season......
  9. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Two things.

1. My biggest concern, you drove 3 hours to turn it in. Is the mowing 3 hours away as well???

2. You said total costs were about $118k. Is that YOUR cost?? Or was that your bid??

Personally, I would have told them my bid is my bid. If I could have done it cheaper the first time around, I would have.

If you redid your bid, and took off 10%, (basically because they told you to) then why didn't you just submit it 10% cheaper to begin with?? And what if they call you up and say "We'd really like to use your services, but our ability to pay is still about 10% cheaper than what you've quoted. If you'll come down another 10%, you can have the contract."

Are you going to come down the next 10%??

You see where I'm going with this? Companies know how much this costs. If everyone's higher, then they need to redo their budget, not expect people to mow for no profit.
  10. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Edging 18 miles per pop :eek:

I'd plan on getting only 1-2x per edger, then throw it in the garbage when it breaks and pull out a brand new one.

I hope you didn't lower your price, like others have said, they should raise their budget not expect you to mow for no profit. You're going to go through some equipment and you're going to need some reliable manpower to get this done.

For the one time per month area, are they expecting a finished cut? If they are it's going to look like crap, and if they only want rough cut then you're going to be running a slower ground speed so it's going to take longer (in other words no matter what you do your efficiency will be shot to heck and they should be billed accordingly). For the twice per month area, they want it cut too short, but I'll side step that issue... there are going to be weeks where it will need 2x cut.

Unless you have alot of money in reserve, I hope they are pre-paying the month, cause a large job like this would be an impossible lump to swallow if they are slow to pay. You'd be looking at a minimum of $50K per month expenses, probably more... can your cash reserve handle waiting 60 days to get paid?

One last thought, make sure you are really tight with your dealer/mechanic cause if you fall behind on this one, it will take a lot to catch back up.