Bidding help

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by bpbrab, Aug 9, 2006.

1. bpbrab

bpbrab LawnSite Member

Hello; I'm looking for help bidding on a grading and seeding job. I'm told that you charge by sq. ft. What's the going rate for a job like this. I'd like to give 2 quotes - 1 including the removal and disposal of existing grass, and 1 without removal of existing grass (they want me to lay topsoil right on top of the existing grass). I'll need to put up to 4" of topsoil before I spread the grass seed. They'd also like a quote without the cost of materials to see if they'd be able to do better getting the materials on their own. Any suggestions as to how I charge this one?

2. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

Yea don't there are gonna just be a PITA over questioning all your pricing, and why did you need to do that. Then when the final outcome isn't immaculate they won't want to pay. and they won't understand why it looks like it does it because they didn't want to spaend the money to do it right. Just our advice take it or leave it. Good Luck

3. bpbrab

bpbrab LawnSite Member

So how would I price this - by the hour or sq. ft. and what is the going rate?

4. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

We charge everything by the man hour. take a look at figure out how long you think it will take then bid higher because it always takes longer than you think the first few times you do something and even sometimes when you have done it many times. say if you think it will take 5 hours with two ment bid 7 hours with 2 men then if it takes less time you can charge them lass if you want. then if they find the product figure out if take you more time/work because of them getting it than if you got it. If so then charge them for the extra time/work. Hope this helps BUT DON"T SAY WE DIDN"T WARN YA!