1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bidding help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by anewinc, Sep 3, 2001.

1. anewinc

anewinc LawnSite Member

Hi everybody;

I am about to bid for a Hospital Job (33 acres) mowing, trimming, blowing in PA. I would appreciate any help in pricing, equipment etc. You may e-mail me at gyazici@earthlink.net. Happy labor day!
  2. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Theres normally no private consulting. It sounds liek you don't have the equipment for this job. Are you sure your ready for 33 acres??

If there is a reason you don't want to discuss it publically here, you can e-mail me and I'll try to help, but you will be better off posting questions here for all to see and reply to.

Good Luck!
  3. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

Where in PA?
  4. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Have you measured the size of the property. In order for us to give you acurate pricing we will need to know what size mowers you have or plan to buy.

If you will give us the total turf area to be maintained with trim mowers(21")/deck mowers(36-60")/and wide area mowers(72" +) we can give you a price.

If you give us the linear footage of string trimming(turf/bed/fencing) and the linear footage of edging we can give you a price.

If you submit these specs to us and let us know the degree of difficulty for each, we can give you a price.

What are the factors that you will have to deal with in order to keep the grounds professionally maintained: debris/trash removal, lot sweeping/blowing, bed weeding, mulching, etc.

Hope this helps you know where your homework begins.
  5. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

I, and imagine some others, don't like this scene. Someone finds this site, figures we can solve all their problems for free without them participating at all, and has the nerve to just leave his e-mail and not check back here to the thread.

Please, Please, Please, and I know its been said before. Check back with the threads that you participate in, especially the ones you start!!!!!

Just had to vent, a little pet peave I'm developing!! :)
  6. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd charge em the average cost of a heart transplant $150K ;->
  7. cp

cp LawnSite Senior Member

Must not want to let any secrets out since he ain't checked in.:(

Eric, I wonder if ???????;)
  8. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know the situation well enough to answer this. Furthermore, I stay away from large commercial because it's not nearly as profitable in my area.

That being said, I have to agree with Guido in questioning whether you are ready to take on such a big job. In my experience I've learned that if a job is so big I need help bidding it and don't have the equipment to do it - it's probably something I shouldn't be bidding on. When I have ignored this advice I've always ended up regretting it.

I have learned to take small steps in this business. Nowadays I never bid out a landscaping installation, irrigaiton job, or maintenance account if it's vastly larger than anything I've ever done before. I'll allow myself to stretch the envelope a little - that's how you learn. But going too large too quick is almost always a bad idea.

Just my 2 cents.
  9. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

I recommend that you use a 21" pushmower and charge them $15 to $20 dollars.

This seems to be the way most people are starting out these days.

Good Luck! :D
  10. John from OH

John from OH LawnSite Member

I'm with Jim on this one. If you do not know how to bid a large job, you are probably not in a position to take the work on.

That said, bid it like you bid a small job, only its larger. The procedure is not any different, just the size of the property.