Bidding is BS

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by johnnybravo8802, Apr 9, 2008.

1. johnnybravo8802

johnnybravo8802 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Ga.

Has anyone ever approached a client and said' "let's skip the bidding process, I give you a price,and if you like it I'll start today." That's the way it used to be in the 80's before there were a billion lawn services out there. Basically bidding is ,"guess what number I'm thinking of" and the person with the lowest number wins. That's why I've never played the lottery because I don't like to gamble. If there's a 50/50, I always choose the wrong 50. Most people who are bidding have no idea what price they're giving and the person looking at the quotes have no:hammerhead: idea what they are looking at. Usually they are people in an office who don't even mow their own lawn and have no idea what a job is worth. Thay don't care-they just want the lowest price. Anyone who says this world isn't price driven has never been to Wal-Mart.

2. DixieFerris

DixieFerris LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry pal, educated consumers got you down?

3. johnnybravo8802

from Ga.

Like I mentioned before, they have no idea what they're looking at with a bid-they're not educated-that's the problem. If they were, they'd know that you get what you pay for. When you get something at Wal-Mart, you don't fix it. You throw it away and get another because it's cheap. I still believe in quality and don't shop at Wal-Mart.

4. flattoplawncare

flattoplawncare LawnSite Senior Member

:laugh: I did this today basically and i got the job, It is a commercial building and i said in order to get you the best price i would need to know what price range you are trying to work within. And then he told me and i went home and made my proposal and got the job.:waving:

5. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

i am anti wall mart also I hate this throw away generation and just buy new I like to save my money no spend it on the same junk over and over

6. echo8287

echo8287 LawnSite Member
    from Ga

It's hard to compare apples and oranges until you actually see them. David

7. Dugann

Dugann LawnSite Member

flattop just hit bingo...exactly

they give u a range u work your numbers and then you see what you can come up with.

if they are unwilling to do such then it a crap shoot and you don't have time to play imo. bid high if you get it great if not, then well hell not worth your time. some nerd crunching numbers and don't have a clue as to what real and not.

they will get what they pay for imo when they low ball. goverment is really bad about it for most part.

8. johnnybravo8802

from Ga.

If I could get a range, it would be much easier. Everyone I deal with(mostly commercial) won't give you a clue as to what they want to pay. I always have to start from scratch. I'm trying to find a way to convince certain customers to skip the bidding and let's work on a price we can all live with. I'm attempting to make it a win-win situation.

9. Dugann

Dugann LawnSite Member

if they will not give u a range just make a sound bid based on what u believe and roll with it...but bid high imo. if you get it okay, if you don't then well don't sweat it. try again next year. more they see your name then well it might make a diff imo.

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Did you know you can bid whatever you want?
    For instance, I could bid $0 and get away with it.

Well I don't feel great about it, but at least my crash course lessons did some good :laugh:
    I ain't quite figured out how to pay the bills yet, but I'll get to that later.