Bidding Jobs..

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Dingojoe, May 11, 2008.

1. Dingojoe

Dingojoe LawnSite Member

Guys I'm new to the field and I'm trying to learn all I can to make a profit and satisfy the customer. What bidding formulas are out there and which one's are the best? Do you prefer one over the other?

Thanks,

2. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

I just have been feeling out the market. I look at a job and think about what the total cost is for the market. I take that idea and adjust my bid accordingly to make it come out right.

I always add around 25% or more for materials. I also add extra labor hours than actual to cover any hidden or unexpected costs. Once I have the final bid I add around 5%- 10% extra to again make sure I'm covering my butt for unexpected cost. So far it's worked OK, and I make a profit off of jobs. Sometimes I'm a little more expensive than the rest, but luckily I have good customer relations, and I'm told I do exceptional quality of work, so people don't mind paying for it.

Ultimately, I try to give my customers at least 100%-200% return in property value, and I make sure they know that. I have a real-estate agent I work with that helps confirm that for me and my customers.

When It comes to the smaller jobs with mainly labor, I just try to give them an estimate on time for the project.