1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bidding low then getting the account?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by alpine692003, Oct 1, 2004.

1. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

Hmmm.. You guys ever purposely bid low on a one time job and then all of a sudden get a regular account for the entire year?

I bid a fall cleanup job @ $585 and it took 8hrs so far and $15 disposal fee.. I'm about 2-3hrs short of trimming laurel and cedar hedges and the job will be done.

Total hours = 10 - 12hours approx
    2 guys
    $585 + $25 lawn service = $610 for the job ..

I was kinda low on the bid he said which kinda surprised me, but he said not by much just off about $35 - $50 ..

and then I showed him a service sheet that said I'll do regular maintenance for $190 a month and he is seriously considering that with his wife!

Anyways, my point is you guys ever bid low on a one time cleanup and then get the job for the rest of the year? I know there is only 2 months left in the season, but next year will change dramatically!!

:p :p :p
  2. Andyinchville2

Andyinchville2 LawnSite Member

Yes, I've had that happen before....but my initial bid would not be so low as to lose money (afterall the other jobs if any with the same customer are not guaranteed....unless of course you tell the customer "I'll do this for cheap if I can get your other work for the season"). Low inital bids helps to get your foot in the door for other work but personally I wouldn't want to lose money on them....I'd be willing to make a little less initially if I thought there was a good possibility of other work to follow.
  3. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

My intentions were never to bid low to get the job, but it just happened so that I got the job, I was a low bidder and now I've received another full service account so thats 5 x $190 a month lol ...
  4. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

I have been bidding aerations a little lower this year to try to get my foot in the door. I have been waiting for rain, so I can get started on them. I'm hoping after they see the job that we do they will hire us for maintenance. Since we plug more holes per sq ft then any others that we have seen, I am confident they will be happy.

I'm still not the cheapest, I'm charging $60 up to 5k and $10 per K after that. Double the price if seeding.