1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

bidding maintenance on 6 Taco Bells

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnlubber, Feb 23, 2005.

1. lawnlubber

lawnlubber LawnSite Member

I just got a call from Taco Bell, they are taking bids for next season's maintenance. This entails mowing, string trimming, edging, hand weeding flowers, trimming shrubs, aeration, fertilizer and weed control, irrigation, and spring and fall clean-ups. It would be a large contract so I want it, the only problem is they need a bid in the next day or two. I haven't got time to put together some good numbers to give the bid. Any advice besides that worn out reply- "Well you just figure out what you need to make per hour......" Also any LCOs in Madison, WI pm me by 2/24 if you want to sub the fertilizing.
  2. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Worn our reply???? How the hell do you expect someone ONLINE to give you numbers on
    6 properties WITHOUT seeing them, or knowing ANY details about them, and without knowing anything about how you're set up?????!!!!!!
    Are you serious?
  3. TScapes

TScapes LawnSite Senior Member

What I would do is to call them back and ask what their current scope of work entails, so that you know exactly what services are to be included in your bid. Then I would ask them why they are taking the bids. Is it a pricing issue, quality issue, or simply to see what the market value is? Finally, ask them what their budget is. What are they currently paying for these services and how does that compare to their budgets? If you can get as much information as you possibly can from them upfront, then you are more capable of determining if you can provide those services without loosing your shirt. It also doesn't hurt to ask for a 1-2 day extension.
    Good Luck!
  4. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

comparing it to restaurants here

I would be in the range of 35.00-55.00 per mowing

treatments 45.00-65.00 per app. x 5=

Shrub trimming 200-300 per store

flowing plants 250 spring budget 175 fall budget

spring fall clean up- 200-300 per clean up

hope this helps and this is just a average

compared to restaurants in our area
  5. sanfordandsonfan

sanfordandsonfan LawnSite Member

In the past five years, I have bid on several large food chains. At first I was excited with the opportunity. Then after a few years, I got smart and figured it out. The reason they need a bid in the next two days, is because the corporate office is requiring three to four bids. They managers already know who is going to be doing the work, its just a matter of getting three more bids. How do I know this? Last year I asked one of the managers who got the bid. The same guy that has been doing it the last five years. He is a real nice guy the manager says, he cuts my grass and the district managers grass. Good luck.
  6. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Actually if you have seen the prop it is real easy, I could have it done, printed, packaged and ready to go in 2 hours so why the sweat over 2 days to do it?

They told you all the services they want, so all you need to do is figure the price per store per cut x the total number of cuts + the total amount that you charge for each add on service = the total amount for the full service then divided by the number of months you will bill and waa-la.

You have bid commercial before right? It's really not that hard on these small rest spaces, esp Taco Bells as they tend to be on small lots.
  7. gogetter

gogetter Banned

This is why I posted what I did above. I can think of 2 taco bells near me that are on very different size properties and have very different size beds and numbers of plants/flowers. That's just 2 of them. If I went and looked at the nearest 6 taco bells, I'm sure there would be too much difference from one to the next to be able to give any kind of numbers sight unseen.

I would HAVE to get in my truck with the measuring wheel and a pad and pen and drive to each one and get busy.
  8. ltlbull

ltlbull LawnSite Member

Get your foot in the door............enough said........

9. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

yep get your foot in the door this year......then have it smack you in the ass next year wen someone is 100 a year cheaper :blob3:
  10. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

i know brickman does just about everyone in our area....