Bidding on a 130 home subdivision

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by mmonte4, Mar 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Oh yeah, there's a GREAT attitude...

"Ah who cares, I can screw up to a degree without getting in any trouble..."

You obviously have ZERO clue about HOAs and how they operate.
  2. PbInvestor

PbInvestor LawnSite Member

I'm talking about the money factor. Not the margin for error on the property.
  3. martinfan06

martinfan06 LawnSite Senior Member

:confused: MONEY AINT THAT GOOD:confused:
  4. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

to the origional poster......

i am many states away from you, so there is no slant on my advise from a competitor take my advise......

but please go ahead and screw up lile all these experienced people are telling you you will, BUT PLEASE keep us informed.... it will make a great "i told you so" post to the next crop of newbie that ask advise but refuse to take it cause they are way smarter than us....

i have went into this business after graduating from college, and have been doing this for 15 years... we have a business that does almost $1M/year...... what could i possibly tell you about lawn care that you have not already learned from mowing your own yard 20 times per year for a few years with a lawnboy, and a homelite weedeater......
  5. haybaler

haybaler LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

hey, I don't even think he's mowed his own lawn, he admitted he won't weed wack, or "weed Wedge" as he called it.
  6. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

He lived in the town house were he wants the contract. the other company was cutting his grass.

I guess youcan learn alot by watching...
  7. stumpslawncare

stumpslawncare LawnSite Member

In my opinion you need to rethink this whole idea. You need to sit down and come up with a business plan, figure out your cost and go from there. I know you think that 1770 is alot of money to be made, but you need to figure your cost and relieze that this is alot of work and you will not be making anything close to 1770 or what ever price you under cut the bids. Also if you are just starting out you need to start small and learn from your mistakes on a couple of lawns and only risk making a couple people unhappy. If you go out and make a mistake and make 130 people unhappy, everyone in town will know about it, believe me word spreads fast with only a couple customers, imagine how fast it would spread with 130. You don't want that going around about your business.

Just my opinion.....
  8. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm sure you've read the post from the genius in Baton Rouge about starting a business in his HOA and not wanting to weed wedge.

Please, someone draw us a picture of weed wedging! Use your imagination.

Is it a high school prank in a locker room? Do you jam a bunch of dandelions and clover down a freshmans jock and yank? Is that it? I'd like a picture.

Do you use a wedge and pry weeds out of cracks, butt or otherwise?

I'm all for regional differences in jargon and nomenclature, but I've never heard of "weed wedging". Is it a southern thing or a moron thing? Enlighten please! He he heeee :walking:
  9. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

lawnguyland, what exactly was the purpose of your post? The guy asked some questions. So he didn't use "weed trimming", "weed eating", "string trimming", "grass trimming", "trimming the edges", etc. I think everyone knew what he meant.

C'mon everyone, the original poster even made this thread in the correct forum!! "Starting a Lawncare and Landscaping Business" ! Which also happens to be under "Helping Beginners". Could we keep this in mind? Can't we all just get along?
  10. PbInvestor

PbInvestor LawnSite Member

I was beginning to think that EVERYONE in here was negative.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.