Bidding on a car dealership...need help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Surferbum21, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Surferbum21

Surferbum21 LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW OKC

A hair customer of my wife is the GM of a well known car dealership where we live. He is unhappy with the guy that is currently doing it and wants me to come give him a bid. I measured the lot out and it comes to around 74,000 sq feet. I know this is just under an acre but it is spread out all over the place. For instance, it is mainly big long 15x 300 areas. There will be a lot of edgin and weedeating as there are a buttload of strips. If it was more mowing than weedeating I would do it for a lot cheaper. There would be around 24 cuts give or take 2 depending on what type of season we have this year. I am going to speak with him tomorrow to hopefully find out how much the current guy does it for. I am wanting to tell him I will do it for the same price but will guarantee my work and will have it done in one day (apparently it's an older guy with an old mower and he starts on Thursday and ends on Sunday). I could easily get it done in a day by myself but I will be with one to two guys this summer. The only thing is I'm afraid this old man is one of those that does it for dirt cheap like a lot of companies do. I was thinking $300-400 per cut.

Anybody got any ideas on what to charge?

Oh and I can take pics and post em if needed. It would be a bunch though.

2. lawnbutch

lawnbutch LawnSite Member
    from Colo.

For that many feet I would get at least $370.00 per m&t blow. Extras would go for an hourly rate.

3. Weekes

Weekes LawnSite Member

You mean nearly two acres? I think with everything you will have to do all the trimming it would be closer to $400+. That is if I am understanding correctly that there is more trimming than mowing, and it is not a simple mow (you will be moving around from strip to strip). From your figures it looks like over 16 4500sq ft. Sounds to me like a lot of time involved.

Without pictures I may be over analyzing and too high, but I could be to low cuzz it does sound like a lot of work.

4. ferdinand711

ferdinand711 LawnSite Member

I believed you're the only one that knows best on how long this will take you and how much it will cost you. if you think $300-$400 is your price then go for it. and by the way 74,000 square feet is 1.7 acres not under an acre.

5. 8307c4

8307c4 LawnSite Member
    from VA

Betcha the current guy's doing it for 90 bucks.
    And if it's off by 5 or 10 bucks I still win :laugh:

btw this should be under the 'Starting a business' section.

6. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I just wanted to mention the liability issue with all the cars. Be sure to use mulching mowers and make sure you're very observant to prior damages. A digital camera would come in very handy. Tony
    Btw, what brands of dealership is it?

7. Surferbum21

Surferbum21 LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW OKC

Yea I got that acre figure from some website and thought it was off too. So how many sq feet are in an acre? Thanks guys. That just helped back up what I thought.

8. lawnbutch

lawnbutch LawnSite Member
    from Colo.

1 acre =43,560 sq ft.

9. grassaholic

grassaholic LawnSite Senior Member

If you aren't insured you should really consider it when mowing a car lot. I had a Chevy dealership where I put a chunk of steel through the back window of a new car. Our insurance covered it but I have to admit it was pretty embarassing.

10. Lazer Man

Lazer Man LawnSite Member
    from SW Pa.

Plus I would never walk in and say I'll cut for whatever the guy before was cutting. I'm betting he was cutting for next to nothing.

Bob :usflag: :usflag: :usflag: