Bidding on a Cemetery

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Sweet Tater, Oct 29, 2007.

1. Sweet Tater

Sweet Tater LawnSite Silver Member

Does any one service a cemetery? I am getting ready to bid on one for the commng year. I have already serviced this area as it contains alot of my family. My problem is they are starting a collection to pay for it to be serviced regularly now and I need an example of a contract of performed services. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. capelawncare.com

capelawncare.com LawnSite Fanatic

Im a bit confused.... "They are starting a collection"??? Does that mean you will be working for donations?

3. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

What it means is people over the cemetery are taking donations to pay for the up keep.

4. capelawncare.com

capelawncare.com LawnSite Fanatic

What happens if the donations dont equal the contract price? Say nobody donates for month? what happens then?

5. Langford2000

Langford2000 LawnSite Member

I service a cemetary in my home town. They also use a donation system of sorts to help offset the cost of my services. Typically the request a donation annually from the family members of the deceased and that goes into a trust fund along with new grave site sales.

Either way you will need to bid on what you think it will take you as far as time. The one I cut is divided into 14 rows - all raised stones. We cut it with a 61" and trim with a 36". It take about an hour for two people to mow and string trim. I haven't measured the lenght but each row averages 10 sites wide and approx 200 ft long but thats just a WAG. Just to give you an idea.

6. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

John, I see you've got 247 posts but it seems like you're just starting out on cemetery's.

Use any contract you want or write your own. Just include what you're going to provide, how often and for how much. Do you need insurance? Do they have insurance? Can you use any chemicals for grass or weed control?

There are a dozen services we provide our cemetery clients, from mowing to tree
    service to removing old flowers. See what they expect and if they'll pay for it. The group should be an association or organization, with one contact person you will deal with. This one person is the only one you take orders from and who makes sure you get your checks. (More than one person directing you will drive you nutz.)

There are a lot of posts on contracts and mowing cemetery's so do the usual "Search" and you'll have most of your answers. Be aware, even after all your study and work, you may may be the one making a "donation", of your time and efforts.

7. rogero

rogero LawnSite Member
    from indiana

Whatever You Do, Dont Underbid.
    I Maintain 7 Cemeteries My First Full Year Into It, I Will Bet Next Year The Price Will Be Quite A Bit Higher Just Because I Did Not Know Any Better. Trimming Is A Killer, Unless You Can Use Weed Control.

8. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

This is NOT out of the ordenary.............

If you were Smart you would do it for FREE......

the advertisement is secoand to none.....
    the tax break is secoand to none

9. rogero

rogero LawnSite Member
    from indiana

yeah I would have felt better knowing that it was for chairety.
    maybe next year you can help out im sure you have never made any mistakes.

10. Sweet Tater

Sweet Tater LawnSite Silver Member

Me make a mistake??? lol several.... I have been donating mowing this same cametery for the last 2 years with some other volunteers.. one 70 year old woman, one about 76 and one over 80, my 48" lazer Zone of them on a push and to of them on timmers.. its a sight to see rofl.
    They finally decided they were too old for it any more, so the are contacting the families of the "residents" to start a fund. I have bid $135 to basically pick up old flowers that have blown off the graves, mow, line trim and blow the stones off. Its an old country cemetery does not cost to be buried there so the has never been any money involved in it, the land was donated. As far as them raisng the funds for a full season of service with around 200 plots and under 1 acre of land I think the got it covered for 2 years already. Just trying to keep it legal with a contract. I'll make sure my insurance will cover there just incase one caves in or I (God forbid) nock a stone over and break it.
    Anyway thank you all for the resonces.

Plus I am related to more than half of the "residents" :)