1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bidding on a Chili's and Cracker Barrell

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by chevyman1, Sep 29, 2004.

1. chevyman1

chevyman1 LawnSite Senior Member

This is my first experience with chain resturants....any tips on do's/don'ts for these type places or hot topics they need to hear you say? I have walk thru's with the managers of each at lunch today. Thanks in advance everyone!
  2. Branchland

Branchland LawnSite Senior Member

Don't have any resturants yet. I'd say just treat them like you would anybody else. Be professional, tell them what they want to hear and give them what you tell them they'll get.
  3. TerraCarekc

TerraCarekc LawnSite Member
    from KCMO

Atleast thats my experience. I mow 17 Fast food restaurants, and i was able to talk them into a year round payment plan. I get the same check every month no matter how many times I mow to keep the lawns clean and professional.
    One suggestion is go to Office Depot or similar store and get some cheap carbon receipts. I always go in to the stores to refil my water cup and to say hello. Often times the store manager isn't in, and he tells the district rep that we haven't been to his store in 3 weeks. (Magically the lawn doesn't grow apparently since it always looks great.) I now always leave one copy of the receipt with the store so theres verification of me being there.
    Good luck, with it. I've found it to be one of my best accounts.
  4. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

it may be unnecessary to say this but you need to have all of your BIZ stuff straight--insurance, taxes, licenses the whole ball of wax.

will you have to submit work orders to the central or regional office? be prepared to wait for your check.

BTW--get prepared to be offered extra work. if they like you, the MGR will pay you to do his lawn, other stores, etc. good luck!

5. all degree

all degree LawnSite Senior Member

Chevy also be prepared for "dog and pony" shows. Lots of times the big executives will be coming to town and the place will have to look great by the next day. Charge accordingly but dont go over board.

This will happen to you.
  6. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Everything I was goin to add such as reciept for being there and work performed and the massive "pretty up" efforts prior to management coming into town. Be a pro and this will work out nicely. Also have signage on your truck for advertising while you are servicing their account!