1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

bidding on commercial accounts

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by manningslc, Sep 25, 2007.

1. manningslc

manningslc LawnSite Member

I am currently bidding on commercial accounts. When they want an estimate for mulch do you give a set price or do you write on the proposal how much you charge per hour and include the supplies cost?

2. NC Greenscaper

NC Greenscaper LawnSite Senior Member

I include it in the charge for all the services. Figured in based on the the number of replacements/replenishments per year. Cost of mulch + mark up, plus labor, delivery times number of times per year. Add that into all your other cost.

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We followed Tru Green bid idea of a certain amount per 2 cu ft bag...in our area it is $5. You don't want the mulch to be included because it inflates the monthly amount and you want that to look low.

4. turbo5560

turbo5560 LawnSite Senior Member

you mulch by the bag? never heard of a commercial business doing things by the bag unless for small jobs.... :dizzy:

5. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

I have been working for someone that has a bank contract. Ive seen the guys pull up for the mulching job and they have a big utility Izuzu truck and the back is stacked like 10ft high with about 200 bags of mulch. Thats all they use are bags.

6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

WE buy mulch by the pallet.......I think there are 65 bags and some accounts take several pallets. You bid a bag price so there will be no argument about not being thick enough etc...etc. Very common in our area.

7. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

that is just to funny you guys serious?

8. LawnMowerMan2003

LawnMowerMan2003 LawnSite Senior Member

I think it's a good idea. I worked for a a guy that has a larger business and he charges by the bag to clean up leaves; I think it would make the estimates easier.

9. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

the only places around hear that sells bags is the local gas station walmart and the homedepot

10. LawnMowerMan2003

LawnMowerMan2003 LawnSite Senior Member

I didn't know you could get mulch at the local gas station lmao