bidding on complexes

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ronslawncare, Mar 15, 2003.

1. ronslawncare

ronslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

i wanted to know all the legalitys of bidding on i need a contractors liscence .if so how do i have to oobtain one,do i need to have work for someone for several yrs or go to school to obtain the liscence??
    also how much insurance do you usally have to carry .how do you actually go about getting the bids .do you belong to political groups.should i mail info on my company asking them if they are in need of a landscaper.I have along way before i get to step but i just want to know should i be heading in this direction for later yrs in life....
  2. imalandscper

imalandscper LawnSite Member

I maintain 3 complexes and all i did was direct marketing. no liscence but i do carry 3 mil in liability
  3. ronslawncare

ronslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

is that just cutting ,what did use use in the direct mail to get there attention.
  4. lsylvain

lsylvain LawnSite Senior Member

You need to check with your state's board of contractors to find out if you need a licence. I do work in both WV and VA. In WV I don't need a licence but in VA I do.

Some states have $ amounts that decide if you need a licence and others just go by what it is you are doing.

Having your contractors licence is good advertizing for your biz anyway. If you go in on a big contract and you bid the same as another guy and you have a licence and he doesn't they will pick you weather you actually need the licence or not. People just feel safer or something.