Bidding on full service contracts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mirrorlandscapes, Mar 15, 2007.

1. mirrorlandscapes

mirrorlandscapes LawnSite Member

I've bid on a number of industrial/commercial contracts where they want full service, but I have a hard time estimating spring clean-ups and shrub trimming.

Does anyone have good ways to bid to these? Right now I try to guesstimate on how long it would take me or a crew to do the jobs then multiply by hourly rate and tack on a dump fee, but it doesn't work too well. Any ideas? :confused:

2. thesargent

thesargent LawnSite Senior Member

why isnt it working? you need to figure out how many times a year you will be trimming the shrubs. how much would you charge to just trim all the shrubs and clean up. figure each project seperatly then add it up. try that see if that helps.

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

On upscale commerical you dont' need special cleanup you build in visits all year long so nothing builds up. For example we blow off all our commericial every week and if it has leaves we simply mulch them up and no extra just normal mow price. Bush trimming is simple you got to get good equipment and again mulch up the trimming, we arent' garbage guys so we don't leave with anything. Sometime we put some bags in their trash container.

4. mirrorlandscapes

Thanks for the input. As for build-up, that's a good idea and we would try to do that throughout the year, but what about 1st time accounts where the last company didn't do a fall clean-up or lots of trash has accumulated? For spring clean-ups on that I try to look over the property and guess how long it would take us to clean it and bid accordingly.

thesargent, sometimes it works, I guess I just need to pay closer attention to the time to get the job done with different kinds of shrubs some are alot easier than others. What equipment would you suggest? I've got a WeedEater 19", hand pruners, and Black & Decker electric.

5. C.T. Lawn Care

C.T. Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

what i do is, i keep a tally of small, med, large. Then i give each category a price per bush i would like to get... say.. small is 1.00, med 3.00, large 5.00. Then i walk and put a tally next to each cagegory as i look at each bush. After i am done looking and tallying each bush i will add up the number of bushes in each cat. and multiply by the amount given to that cat.

works for me.

6. mirrorlandscapes

Cool idea!! Thanks, I'll give it a try, that sounds better than guessing time.:dancing: